AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide between the TC Sounds 12" db500 and the Dayton RSS390HO 15" in a 4.0 cu.ft. ported box with a 300w BASH amp. Both model fine in the enclosure, giving solid response down to 21hz with good group delay. I could plug the port on demand and get excellent sealed response with a F3 below 35Hz for both drivers.

Both are fine low distortion drivers. Here is my question:

The 12" TC db500 has XMAX of 20mm, while the larger 15" Dayton Ref 390HO has only 12mm of XMAX.

Which would be preferable? My room is just over 2100 cu. ft. with 2 open walls. 50% music / 50% HT. My guess is that the Dayton would offer superior displacement and the TC Sounds would give ultimate SPL? I like the higher efficiency of the 15" sub, so would the Dayton be the best choice?

· Registered
3,937 Posts
Take a look at the HIFI 15" dayton. I've modeled both and it seems the hifi is superior in every way except power handling.

· Registered
3,880 Posts
Since the 300w amp is your performance bottleneck, I'd choose the Dayton 15" woofer.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thylantyr /forum/post/0

Since the 300w amp is your performance bottleneck, I'd choose the Dayton 15" woofer.

Yep. The better efficiency of the Ref 15" HO woofer would work well with the "low" wattage of the small BASH amp.

Just read an article that larger cone size is better than extended XMAX, given all other factors being equal.

Now I need to wait for the Dayton 15" to go on sale!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.