AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting to know the resolution that the PS3 "wants" for its background images, or perhaps how it scales the images I want to use.

Here's my problem...

I have a Samsung UN55C6900 monitor with a native resolution of 1920x1080. I set the PS3 to output 1080p over an HDMI connection directly to the monitor(I use optical digital for sound to the receiver). I created a custom wallpaper that is 1920x1080. The picture has a fine mesh pattern in it that becomes aliased when I make it my XMB background. It seems to me that the XMB must not display at 1920x1080 even though the PS3 is set to HDMI 1080p output. It must be scaling the image in some manner.

To test my theory I set the image as background again, only this time I didn't adjust the image with the PS3's cropping tool. The cropping tool seemed to only pick the center 60% or so of the image I made, but this produced a very clean, crisp, unaliased background.

So..., I'm kinda stumped here. Any ideas?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Attached is the wallpaper that I used to test this out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. So, after many hours of trial and error using grid patterns, I have come to a conclusion. If I run 1080p resolution on my monitor and PS3, I need a background image size of 960x540... 1/2 of 1080p it turns out.

To determine this I started with an image size of 1280x720 containing a small grid pattern. I did not scale the wallpaper using the PS3 at all. I counted the number of blocks from the edges of the wallpaper I made to the edges of the area selected by the PS3. Then I created a new wallpaper using those dimensions. Initially it was 959x543 (per the size of the block pattern).

Next I used a wallpaper size of 1024x576 (as suggested by users on another site), with the same grid pattern. I repeated the same procedure as before. This time I got a size of roughly 961x542.

I then assumed 960 to be my width and divided that by 1.778 (16:9), and got 540 for my height. It wasn't until later that I realized that this was 1/2 1080p.

I have a hunch that the PS3 picks 1/2 the output resolution for wallpaper size, but I have no way to know for sure. I don't have a 720p monitor to test this on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.