AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently enable MadVR's gamma correction/ramp instead GPU gamma. Also, I enable "Display is calibrated: " setting (which really makes the picture absolutely perfect with more depth). I also disable my video card's builtin gamma ramp. I haven't seen a lot of people talk about this; but, these settings REALLY makes a difference on my calibrated display. I also use SVP as well in MadVR to get perfect motion video.

Questions:

1. I'm curious, if I were to use SVP: XMBC, does it also have gamma correction similar to MadVR? Or, do I have to just depend on builtin GPU gamma)? Are there any other MadVR comparable image enhancement settings in SVP:XMBC?

2. If I use MPC-HC+MadVR as an external player, what are drawbacks would I have compared to SVP:XMBC? I'm guessing SVP:XMBC uses a native player; so, video size and OSD can be controlled by XMBC.

PS: If I use MPC-HC as an external player for XMBC, will my XMBC remote control still control naviation (FF/REW/Pause/Stop)? How clunky (or seamless) is this process compared to using the builtin XMBC player?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
You use SVP in madvr or madvr's FRC?

SVP just creates additional frames to output 60 frames per second to 60Hz displays. I don't see a measurable difference in SVP and just outputting plain 24p to newer displays that do 240Hz motion interpolation processing on top of that. SVP and motion interpolation really only look good on animated films anyway (I think) though we use it on everything. My wife like's it, and I'm ambivalent about it. Letting the TV do it simplifies playback immensely, and uses less power to get there

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SVP definitely looks better to me than without; no matter how I look at it. Looks very similar to what my Samsung TV smoothmotion. My question revolves more around gamma processing of MadVR; which, it appears that SVP: XMBC may not have.

PS: I don't use my display's builtin smoothmotion processing, since it has video stuttering in certain circumstances (no way to avoid that); except to use SVP on the PC.

You use SVP in madvr or madvr's FRC?

SVP just creates additional frames to output 60 frames per second to 60Hz displays. I don't see a measurable difference in SVP and just outputting plain 24p to newer displays that do 240Hz motion interpolation processing on top of that. SVP and motion interpolation really only look good on animated films anyway (I think) though we use it on everything. My wife like's it, and I'm ambivalent about it. Letting the TV do it simplifies playback immensely, and uses less power to get there

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully, this question isn't for me. I haven't even installed XMBC. According to Google.com searches there's a special build of XMBC "SVP:XMBC" which allows people to add SVP natively into the builtin player. However, it's unclear what other features it has other than SVP. The only other feature I really cared about was MadVR's builtin gamma correction/ramp intended for an already calibrated TV.

Does an XMBC remote control allow controlling of the external player (mpc-hc)? I'm guessing it must, or it wouldn't be very useable.

if i may ask, how did you enable SVP on XBMC?

I use the external player option using rules for animated movies using mpc-hc+svp. I use normal XBMC frodo for all other movies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts