AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For analog audio out, will the HDAV be better than the D2X?

I love my D2X but the problem is the lack of RCA outputs, and the mini jacks are spaced too close to use any good quality cables. Should I change to the HDAV with RCA outs?

·
Registered
701 Posts
out of the box it will be a little bit better, the biggest advantage though is the upgradeable DAC sockets. There are a few DACs out there better than the ones included and the card is designed so you can pull out the stock ones and pop in better ones without any soldering, which is AFAIK a first, and a very nice feature.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Look rather for the Essence ST + H6 Daughterboard.

FWIW I find the HDAV1.3 analog sub-par when compared to professional audio cards (e.g. 2 channel comparison vs. an E-MU 1212m).

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli /forum/post/18144832

FWIW I find the HDAV1.3 analog sub-par when compared to professional audio cards (e.g. 2 channel comparison vs. an E-MU 1212m).

Given that it uses the same op-amps on the H6 daughter card, and from what I've been able to tell(could VERY well be wrong on this) uses the same DAC as the HDAV Deluxe, is the dedicated power circuitry and slightly better stereo op-amp really worth the extra cost over the stock HDAV.

I completely agree about the stereo comparison to the 1212m though, still have and use a pair of them, one stock, one very not stock.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli /forum/post/18144832

I'm very confused about the Essence ST/STX. If I want full analog outputs, then I need ST and not STX right? And is the Essence ST Xonar's top card for analog audio quality? Better than the HDAV?

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Yes it's the ST (STX is the 2-channel only card). And yes, AFAIK the ST is Asus top card for analog audio and should be better than the HDAV (again, I don't find the HDAV quite outstanding in analog).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.