AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Xonar DX 7.1 low profile sound card to upgrade the sound of my HTPC - it had just the motherboard built-in VIA audio codec. The new card sounds great, except for one big problem. When I try to record from my AV receiver, the recording level is way too low - 6 to 12 dB below normal. At 100%, the Xonar "Line In" recording device is much, much quiter than the VIA Line In recording. I tried all line outputs on my Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver - same level. Tried the receiver's output for power amp, but then the receiver's volume needs to be set way too high, and I cannot monitor what's playing (if I turn on the speakers the room will explode).

I looked all over the drivers, but all I could find is the recording level, and it's 100% by default, and nothing more.

As I said, this is much worse than my previous setup with the VIA line in device, which had plenty of room - I had to set the recording volume to 30-50% to hit the target recording level. Is this normal? If it is, what good is this card for recording, then? I know that it is a bad idea to up the level of the recorded sound by digital processing, because then artifacts are introduced, and it doesn't have to be that way, if the analog input level was high enough.

Any ideas?

BTW, I am on Windows 7 64 bit and I have the correct XONAR drivers. I am using Audacity for recording.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts