AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"the 5000 series HDPC cards do support HDMI 1.3a and will carry 7.1 Digital. But is it the same, will you get the same depth, clarity and richness. Will it be able to do the same things the Xonar does. No, it wont. Not even close. "

Just wondering what everyones' take on this is. I'm of the opinion (since I've heard all of these setups just not with the same components) that Bitstreamed audio is bitstreamed audio unless there is some sort of processing at the beginning or end of the cable that colors the sound.

·
Registered
74 Posts
@Natedog51

If everything is working (big if right now) then "bitstream is bitstream". It's up to your AVR and speakers. Of course the Xonar does other things that may or may not be better.

Of course, you will want to spring for the $250 Monster HDMI cable because that *will* make it sound better.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm not sure who said that, but they should be slapped. The whole idea behind bitstreaming is that the encoded audio track, as it's saved on the BD is being sent directly to your AVR, decoded and all quality is based on the DACs in your AVR, there is zero difference in audio quality so long as bitstreaming is used. And if you're not going to bistream, then quite frankly, you should not be looking at these products for audio. You should be looking into a higher quality of DAC.

However if the article is attempting to compare the Xonar Essence ST analog audio to the digital audio output by the HD5000 series then that is an extremely unfair comparison, as the Xonars all the way down to the bargin cards have good to excellent DACs on them, and the ATi cards are going to be limited by the DAC in the AVR, which could easily be utter crap.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, that's pretty much what I was thinking but just wanted to see if there was more to the Xonar than what I've read/heard (I never looked at the specs). This was actually from a guy who's building HTPC's in my area (I e-mailed him) because he's charging $2200 for a HTPC that has an HD5450 and Xonar (with PowerDVD 9) and marketing it as the "ultimate HTPC". I just wondered what else came with it for $2200.

And thanks for that Monster HDMI cable suggestion, I never knew

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Damn for that kind of money better be way more than a HTPC. I spent under that on my rig and I have 5 hard drives(3.2T total space) one being SSD, dual hdtv tuner,blu ray burner, 6 gig of 1600 fast cas ram, nvid 295, HAF 932 case, 750 psu and an hdav 1.3 deluxe. Using a core i7 920 with an after market cooler to help keep things cooler, so he better be loading that bad boy up or his ultimate htpc is a joke.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog51 /forum/post/18145126

One could hope for that but it's not: http://norfolk.craigslist.org/sys/1601920806.html

I posted on a "Help me build my HTPC" with a PC that costs about half and does a whole lot more (and it's more powerful to boot).

My GOD that's a rip off, those parts should cost roughly half of that, if not less. And it's not like it comes with proprietary software to help with functionality or anything, it's just a Windows HTPC.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/18145351

My GOD that's a rip off, those parts should cost roughly half of that, if not less. And it's not like it comes with proprietary software to help with functionality or anything, it's just a Windows HTPC.

hmm....lets break it down:

The case itself costs $550 shipped. Add to that a Windows License, PowerDVD ($80), 32GB SSD ($100), 5450 ($50), Regor ($57), Xonar ($150),MX 5500 ($150), 2 TB ($150)

Looks close to a 100% markup even with on-location support.

Damn, if people are indeed willing to paying that much, I need to start my own business, could retire early, he he.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think "rip-off" is a bit strong. Clearly, for folks that frequent a site like this it's not a good value. But, what about someone who isn't capable of, or inclined to build one themselves. Collecting and assembling the hardware, installing and configuring the software, installing into the system and some user orientation is worth something, no?

That said, blatantly false statements like the the one the OP quoted is another thing entirely.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusloop /forum/post/18149124

I think "rip-off" is a bit strong. Clearly, for folks that frequent a site like this it's not a good value. But, what about someone who isn't capable of, or inclined to build one themselves. Collecting and assembling the hardware, installing and configuring the software, installing into the system and some user orientation is worth something, no?

That said, blatantly false statements like the the one the OP quoted is another thing entirely.

I would go so far as to say that it'd be worth it if it came with some kind of back-end user support from someone who knows what they're talking about, but it obviously doesn't.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/18149211

I would go so far as to say that it'd be worth it if it came with some kind of back-end user support from someone who knows what they're talking about, but it obviously doesn't.

Fair enough. Without that, in a few weeks it likely would be a very expensive paper-weight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.