Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very pleased with the results i've been getting from

my 2.8 high power screen. But wonder what you all are you all useing for screens and ad on's iscan, quad and so on.

thanks.

[This message has been edited by joe black (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Building my video system is looking like a three-stage affair: 1) get the projector, 2) get the screen, and 3) get the processor. I've only passed stage one at this point, and I probably have a year to go before I'm finished. However, the Grayhawk is the approach making the most sense to me. Unless a competitor produces a similar but better and cheaper product, that's what I'll be buying. Screen gain is something the 21n does not need!

Frank

·
Registered
282 Posts
XP21N - great projector!

Current screen is a DIY blockout fabric painted light gray (which is actually quite spectacular!!!) - In the not too distant future I will be getting a Grayhawk electric drop down.

HTPC - I looked into adding Quadscan to my 480i DVD player, as well as getting a 480p player, but the picture from my PC is just SO WONDERFUL I think I will stick with this approach. In reality, this is my home PC that just happens to have both a digital out (for my LCD display) and VGA out (which I send to the projector).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I thought I'd do the 3-stage affair as well but it's turning out to be a 2-stage one...

1) I bought the XP21N

2) I bought the QuadScan Pro but returned it. I didn't find it improvemed the image. My experience has to be taken in context though. I bought it to improve the image from Satellite TV (especially the sharpness of sports broadcasts). I'm using an S-Video connection out from the receiver...there's limited HD in Canada. Elsewhere on the net, there's a review of the QuadScan which mentioned that it yields greatest benefit with component video. Shouldn't be a surprise I guess. (btw, In Canada I was quoted $3000Cdn/$1900US for the QuadScan; I bought it from medicalvideosystems.com for $900US)

3) As for screens, I'm not willing yet to part with $1700US/$2600Cdn for a 100" motorized GrayHawk. I ordered the screen samples from Da-Lite...and from looking at approx. 5" x 7" samples, lined up side by side, I find I'm leaning towards the Dual Vision. It seems to produce more solid blacks than the Da-Mat. Though they're both rated at 1.0 gain I found the Dual Vision to have slightly less gain. The new High Contrast at 0.8, to my eyes, is way too dark. Higher gain screens were too bright. Yes these are only small samples but when an image spans across the samples at least you get some idea of the differences.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.