Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you OS tweakers, a question:

Since I leave my HTPC on 24/7, I like to let the Hard Drive power down as much as possible. For '98, this was usuallt the case, but for 2K/XP, I find the Hard Drive firing back up rather often to do 'who knows what'. I've disabled a few of the OS services, but have yet find the real culprit.

The other annoying thing about this is that over time this OS activity completely clobbers any caching. For example, even though the last thing I launched (a day ago) is WinDVD, it is no longer in the cache and therefore loads more slowly -- even though I haven't done anything with the HTPC between those times.

Help anyone???

-Jon

·
Registered
326 Posts
The most likely suspect is the Indexing Service. You can either disable it or uninstall it through Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Components. If you're using static IPs you can disable DHCP client. Task Scheduler can also be disabled. Professional is pretty good about not running extraneous services. About all else you could do is uninstall IIS if you aren't using that.

-will

·
Registered
435 Posts
This is not exactly an answer to your question but why not put it on standby? If the reason you leave it on 24/7 is to avoid the long boot times then this might solve your problem. I run win2k on my HTPC and find that it recovers from standby very quickly and the advantage is that most of the computer (except for a trickle current going to the motherboard) is shut down, not just the hard drives.

Cheers

Lester

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point about Standby -- I built this HTPC several years ago and Resume from Standby in 98 was awful... I'll have to try it again with XP. However, this machine was built from the ground up to run all the time. It uses no fans, etc., and can idle the busses when not busy. The result is a cool, virtually silent machine when the hard drive is stopped. I've been spoiled, I guess.

Also, another thought just came up -- I use Girder to automate a lot of remote control tasks -- turning on the stereo, TV, etc., so I guess I can't use Standby (at least without taking a 'response time' hit)

-Jon

·
Registered
191 Posts
While I don't know off-hand how to turn off unneeded services, I can tell you how to figure out what processes are doing what on your machine - this should help you identify who is accessing the disk, the registry, the network, etc. etc.

Head over to www.sysinternals.com - they make the coolest tools for NT I've seen.

Conor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.