AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you guys use cinema or normal, I also have these type of settings on my 300 like cinema 1 cinema2, music etc. I can't seem to figure out what to do w/ both of these. should I leave the player on normal and blacks darker?

· Registered
389 Posts
Hi,

The difference between normal and cinema is very mysterious. I usually leave mine on cinema. You almost can never see any difference at all. I have seen the greatest difference on non anamorphic DVDs, and I think video ased material also. So in my experience the difference is negligable and usually set it at cinema. One other thought try switchig on the fly during a dark scene in a movie, that's were I usually see a slight diference.

Mark

· Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I've been going a bit crazy switching back between all the modes between the DVD player and the projector its. Too many combinations, Normal/Cinema, Cinema1/Cinema, etc...I also need to throw in the color temperature and AVIA calibration into the mix and I don't know what I'm supposed to emerge with. My knowledge doesn't go much further than doing the basic explained adjustments on AVIA, I don't know how to use the other test patterns. Can anyone help, or do these require some sort of software or even training?

· Registered
2018: LG OLED55C8P.. 2022: 75" Samsung QN95B
1,096 Posts
i have the panasonic cp72s.. which i just love!

in it..

cinema 1 = softer picture and enhances dark details

cinema 2 = sharper picture and enhances dark details

just depends which mode gives you the picture that's more pleasing . )

i went with

black level control: lighter

cinema mode 2

avia calibrated

and i LOVE the picture . )

· Registered
126 Posts
On my XP30 I've settled on Cinema instead of Normal. The difference is only apparent in dark scenes. I watched several scenes from Dark City on my calibrated Pio 643 and the shadow detail was noticably improved in Cinema. For progressive output, it doesn't look like the lighter vs. darker black level control has any affect at all.

John

· Registered
389 Posts
JohnnyHK,

No kidding! The black level setting is another one. Some very technical people have written at length about it (in this catagory I think), but I still am not sure where to set it either. I have heard to just pick one then AVIA your system.

Mark

· Registered
2,073 Posts
Hi there. Cinema mode and darker setting on my XP30 were necessary for best PQ through my panny plasma. The darker setting on the DVD player made a VERY noticable difference on some reference DVDs for me. The light setting was...well... too light. (duh)-- this was much more noticable in brighter sequences. Just an opinion

· Registered
1,193 Posts
The light/dark setting (which only affects progressive) makes a dramatic difference on my Panny plasma. I suspect that the amount of difference you see on a CRT display has to do with the effectiveness of the display's DC clamping.

· Registered
472 Posts
-------Yep. I use Cinema too. :)

------- I just had to check the resolution on both settings using Avia and Video Essentials. NO difference. Soooo, it's been Cinema for me all along.

· Registered
389 Posts
Hi Tom,

Didn't you write a response or a thread to the black level setting a month or two ago? Is the best idea to pick one , then avia system, or is the blacker seting always better for progressive scan?

Thanks,

Mark

· Registered
931 Posts
I have a question about the XP 30

I know the RP 62 stated using a chip other than the Faroudja. Did Panasonic do something similar with the XP 30?

In the audio menu it offers DTS out as PCM and DD uses Bitstream what is the difference between the two?

· Registered
5,719 Posts
All the XP-30s use the Faroudja chip. If you're using DD and DTS decoders in your receiver or preamp, then both feeds should be set to "Bitstream" on the player. The default settings assume you have a receiver with DD but not DTS. If your receiver had neither, you'd have to set both outputs to PCM.

· Registered
389 Posts
Jeff,

Am I reading it wrong or are people saying the light/dark setting makes a big difference in progrssive mode in their comments above? I should get out my manual. I think the instructions say to set it to darker for progressive TVs.

Mark

· Registered
931 Posts
no the light/dark settings make no difference in progressive mode. They are talking about cinema/normal mode.

· Registered
5,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
Jeff,

Am I reading it wrong or are people saying the light/dark setting makes a big difference in progrssive mode in their comments above? I should get out my manual. I think the instructions say to set it to darker for progressive TVs.

Mark
The instructions say to set it to darker if you're using the component outputs. As mentioned above, the setting has no effect when in progressive output mode.

As for the "Cinema" or "Normal" settings, my TV was calibrated with the setting at "Normal", so that's where it stays. You can try the various settings, but if you didn't calibrate the TV to that setting, you're probably adding enhancement or losing something in the picture.

· Registered
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
Hi Tom,

Didn't you write a response or a thread to the black level setting a month or two ago? Is the best idea to pick one , then avia system, or is the blacker seting always better for progressive scan?

Thanks,

Mark
Mark,

-----------Just got back to this thread.

----------- Yes, I would by all means use the darker setting for progressive scan..........:) ---------------- However, I'm a bit confused now since I've read the two above posts. I sure thought I could tell a difference in the lighter and/or darker settings when I setting up my player. I could very well have had it on interlaced setting though. Especially if that's the way it came from the factory.

· Registered
776 Posts
I played with the Cinema & Normal settings last night, and I'd say the Cinema mode really jacks up the white level at low IREs; I bet it drops the contrast 15-20%. I should get out the SMARTIII and measure it, but in the meantime I prefer the Normal setting (and I calibrated using that mode).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.