AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of trying to setup a LAN @ home and have my AV Server, HCPC connected into a 5 port hub together with a wireless access point. All fine, I then tried to connect my "Home office" PC up via a Wireless PCI card, followed all the instructions and spent over 1 hour on the 'phone to tech support at D-Link (their PCI card) the problem appears to be that I do not have Wireless Services on my PC :confused: I did a fresh XP install and did not decline anything in the install process so where is my wirelss services?

Am I missing something? In the setup for the card it suggests going into "Network Properties" and selecting "wireless" but it isn't there :confused:

Anyone any suggestions?

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Steve,

You should visit the website of the PCI Wireless card.

Download the latest installation software and drivers for XP.

Usually the latest XP drivers and software for your card will not be on the included CD, however it should be posted on there website.

What kind of card is it?

You should get this to work.

Did you go to device manger and see if the card is there?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got the latest drivers and installation exe from them, Its a D-Link PCI card with a PCMCIA wireless card that sits in a caddy. I can see both the PCI card and the PCMCIA card in device manager.

Steve

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I don't use the D-Link products but use the Orinoco products and to get to use the network there are a few options, and since I set up a Dlink router last nite for a friend, those options are on that product also. You may need a key to allow you to access the network, also, if your router has access restrictions on, you may need to have the MAC address of your client product entered in the router's config area. If you still cannot use it, call D-link's 24hr tech support line, it's free.

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar problem with a Linksys card and XP. It turned out that I had to download the updated drivers for the DOCKING CARD and not the actual PCMCIA card. Once I installed the docking drivers, everything came right up. The install for the docking card contained the PCMCIA drivers in the same package.

Maybe they have docking card drivers for XP that you missed???

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
SteveB,

The name of the service that controls wireless access is the: Wireless Zero Configuration service. It's normally installed by default in XPHE, and XPPro.

I would look at your services menu under computer management to see if it's present. If it's present, make sure it's set to automatic. Also make sure that any services it depends upon are activated.

You might also try this webpage: Wireless Zero Configuration

If all else fails, just do a search on MS's website for Wireless Zero Configuration for XP

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
697 Posts
do you set network name same for all pc`s,

did you configure router to work on your home network,

did you put {any} in router config--- under ssid,

i did one for a friend long ago,

is all your hardware is configured OK in each pc`s.

after all you may need to call support, may be this time you get a good tech,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.