AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today has been one of my more miserable computing days in some time.

I spent the afternoon putting XP on my dev machine so I can play with that interesting looking WM9 encoder. In the process I destroyed my Win/Me development system but I figure in just a few short days of searching for drivers and updates I'll probably have most of it working again. ;)

But what is the trick of making XP Home edition act as a client for file sharing with my Win/Me server? Somehow the XP internet connection already seems to work even though I didn't tell it the address of my gateway machine. But I can't find the other computers in my house (WORKGROUP) and the networking control panel seems quite different from what I'm used to.

Any special tricks or caveats? Does XP share files using netbios, or TCP/IP, or did M$ go and create something typically unique this release? All the other computers in my home are Win/Me and I no intention of changing any of them now.

- Tom

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
The trick is to install IPX/SPX on both machines.

Either that or disable DHCP by assigninging IP addresses, then edit the hosts file on both machines and point the machine name at the IP address.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha!

That should be enough to get me going.

I have put off upgrading to XP for a long time now, and not just because of the brain dead activation stuff. But I notice that when I first put up both Win/Me and Win/2k the changes sort of percolated around the house. Once you put up one machine you have to keep investing time and money until the whole house is converted.

I will not do that this time, even if I have to back it off completely!

- Tom

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
My winxp has HORRIBLE access time when reading off of a win98 machine. No problem the other way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
are you on DSL? do you have a proxy server? if not you could be on different subnets. a lot of DSL providers only let two machines at a time on the same subnet, i.e. if you have three machines the third one won't be on the same subnet as the other two and won't be able to talk to them even though they are on the same physical network.

I had this problem and to get around it I set up IPX on all the machines, it's pretty slow though. when I upgraded my webserver I took the old one and turned it into a firewall/proxy, now there's no more problems getting the machines to talk to each other.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
The ip network is set up correctly, all machines are on one subnet. I've played with various combinations if IPX, netbeui, etc. I searched alot on usenet and microsoft forums, it appears as if there are "many" solutions floating out there that seem to work for some subset of people. I didn't try too hard, I decided to just deprecate my win98 machines.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry

Any special tricks or caveats? Does XP share files using netbios, or TCP/IP, or did M$ go and create something typically unique this release? All the other computers in my home are Win/Me and I no intention of changing any of them now.

- Tom
WIN2K and above use SMB over TCP for file sharing.

Have you enabled client for MS networks and file and print sharing?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
XP uses IP. In order to get file sharing from a XP home machine to win 98, the surefire way is to get the IP address of the XP machine and attach the 98 machine(s) through IP and then map a drive using the IP address. The reason it is dog slow is latency that is in IP (there is a setting for this in the registry, although I don't know what the key is to change it).

If I remember, look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVer sion\\Explorer\\RemoteComputer\\NameSpace- and delete the key under that begins with a "D". See if that works.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I don't remember the exact issues involved because I haven't used ME in about 6 months. But, I used to have XP and ME on the same network with a Linksys router. I had no trouble sharing in either direction. I don't recall having to do any special magic. I believe I just used the home networking wizzard on both machines. Maybe I'm just lucky but I have not had to do any special tricks to get ME and XP to work together properly. I do remember reading about others having much trouble though. Before you jump though all kinds of hoops try the simple options first. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, this has been fun. I run a Sygate 2 nic internet gateway, pbx, and home (not Internet) file sever under Win/Me. The other machines in my house are all Win/Me. Except for my new XP dev system.

So I've been running around the house making host files, defining users, adding passwords, and changing my boxes to Clients for MS Networks. I've changed my file sharing to TCP/IP (pig slow and maybe insecure). I turned off the mini firewall that came with XP and I also needed to set exceptions for Norton Internet Security for all my machines that want to accept TCP/IP file sharing.

I've mostly got it working. Of course in the process I also broke my Internet access for awhile but it seems to be working now.

I'll do some more tuning sometime but think I'm going to miss Netbui, which was faster.

Since my gateway uses 2 nic's I think I can still leave the external one not bound to file sharing, for security reasons, but we'll see.

- Tom

Well, since it's working, maybe it's time to make a ghost. Anybody know if Norton Ghost 2001 can backup a Win/XP NTFS drive? It says it can do that for Win/2k.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Right lets get a few things staight. its not latency in ip there is no such thibg unless you have a 1 mb network card .

its because on ip/windows based networks when browsing across machines the machines compare seduled tasks there is a reg key to switch this off go to www.tweakxp.com

next unless your on a novell network or your using a print server you will never need ipx/spx on a windows based machine this will slow things down.

if your having workgroup issues which most do the best thing to do is change the workgroup on all machines so that there the same. as there are issues with just using workgroup. then define ip network addressing move all to fixed ip address,s

server with internet connection should be 192.168.0.1 never use 192.168.0.0 as this is the wire. and work up changing last digit. and only the last digit. the only time you dont use the 192.168.0.1 for the server is if you have a dsl router or another router as this will probably have this address as factory default.

if you want more info let me know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I recently setup my home network with two new XP-based desktops, a Win2k laptop, and another ME-based desktop. Both XP machines were new, and to raise the level of networking difficulty a notch, I added a D-Link 802.11b wireless router, wireless NIC for the laptop, and enabled the fastest XP D-T to serve as ICS host(yes, I still have dialup). Needless to say, it took awhile to sort out. It communicates TCP/IP between all machines. Ghost 'should' be able to backup XP if it can already backup 2k. They are both NT filesystems. If you are having problems pinging from system to system, and you're using a router, make sure that the router and every computer don't have the same IP address. To use ICS(internet connection sharing), I had to set the host machine to 192.168.0.1 in order to take advantage of the service. DO run the networking wizard, as it enables certain services necessary to succesfully share file access. Since you wiped your ME system completely, why not build yourself a Win2k fileserver instead of ME? I'm not one to bash ME, as it has never given me trouble, but 2k is more stable, and has a UI more similar to ME than XP does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.