Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again all,

Well, my ATI 8500DV is working great now that I finally have it installed. I'm wondering though, can XP go into hibernation and then somehow wake up when it's time to record a show?

Last night I used the Guideplus to schedule a recording at about 1am. However, my computer is set to go into hibernation after about 2 hours. So, my computer hibernated at about 12:30. Needless to say it didn't come out of hibernation to record the show at 1.

Is there any way to make the pc automatically come out of hibernation to record the show?

Thanks,

Russ

·
Registered
361 Posts
I do not know about hibernation, but I use Standby mode and it works perfectly. I am using Showshifter. Do not forget you must have Task Scheduler service running.

Tomas

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the same problem with my 8500DV when the System goes into Hybernation, it never wakes up and misses the recording. I ended up leaving it on 24/7 and letting the disks sleep after an hour (I believe this is standby mode), that worked fine. I have this problem on a Win2000 system.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hibernation is a system power off scenario. Your machine state is written to a file on disk and the machine is turned off. Devices receive zero power and thusly, cannot be set to wake remotely. There are some BIOSes that have the ability to wake the machine from this state, but the settings are in the BIOS and rely on the system clock (read: the little battery on your motherboard).

Standby is a system low power scenario. Your machine is "suspended" in a state of animation (for lack of a better description). There is a trickle of power to all the devices and "wake" events can be triggered by; Software, the OS, or hardware (mouse move, keyboard input, wake on LAN / Ring, etc.).

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info everyone! That does help clarify what is going on. I do have a couple of other little questions though.

Does the cpu fan still run in standby mode? I ask because the cpu fan is the loudest part of my system. It literally drowns out all other sounds from the computer. I don't have much need to use any mode that doesn't lower or completely turn off the cpu fan.

Thanks again,

Russ

·
Registered
372 Posts
The CPU fan will stop running on standby. Trace power is sent to the CPU during standby, when the machine is sent to stanby, the OS requests to know what level all the hardware on the system is being set to. CPU and RAM will always have power trickled to them (and some other core pieces as well), but depending on the level the hardware (driver & device) return, the system will either keep minimal power or turn the power off on that hardware.

You can configure pieces of hardware to have the ability to wake the system on an event, or ignore that event and leave the system alone. NICs and Modems are prime examples of this.

:)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Is there a standalone application (ideally with a command line) which could be used to set an PC to wake up from hibernation at a given time?

None of my recording software seems able to do it, and adding this capability would be awesome

Thanks

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Is there a standalone application (ideally with a command line) which could be used to set an PC to wake up from hibernation at a given time?

None of my recording software seems able to do it, and adding this capability would be awesome

Thanks

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Eiffel

Thanks
If your motherboard supports it, yes. Under Windows 2000, there is a schedualed tasks folder in the control panel. This is a hastle to set up, you are much better off if you can get tuner software that will do it for you. I do know that the Hipix software will do it (though it has a bit of trouble with daylight savings time, you must fiddle with your scheduled events twice a year to compensate).

Someone above commented that standby mode will shut off the fans in the system. This is not true on all systems. I know on both of my computers the fans still run in standby mode. (makes me REALLY glad that hibernate works).

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fan still runs in standby in my system as well :( I tried it last night and manually sent the machine into standby. Unfortunately all the fans kept on running. My video card fan, p/s fan, cpu fan, and both case fans kept on trucking. Oh well, guess it's time to build a 'true' htpc complete with liquid cooling.

Russ

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
On my former HTPC (based on a CUSL2-C motherboard), the fans would keep on going, until I changed a setting in the bios (by enabling the suspend to RAM feature).

I am not an expert at this, but I seem to recall that there are various suspend modes (S1,2,3,4), and that the above setting changed which mode is activated on standby...

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'll admit I did a crappy job explaining the states, I sorta assumed most systems had S3 as their default suspend state :)

S0/Working On. The CPU is fully up and running; power conservation is on a per-device basis. The CPU fan and GPU Fans will still run.

S1 Sleep Appears off. The CPU is stopped; RAM is refreshed; the system is running in a low power mode. The CPU fan and GPU Fans will still run.

S2 Sleep Appears off. The CPU has no power; RAM is refreshed; the system is in a lower power mode than S1.

S3 Sleep Appears off. The CPU has no power; RAM is in slow refresh; the power supply is in a reduced power mode. The CPU and GPU fans are off.

S4 Hibernate Appears off. The hardware is completely off, but system memory has been saved to disk.

S5/Off Off. The hardware is completely off, the operating system has shut down; nothing has been saved. Requires a complete reboot to return to the Working state.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Since Asus motherboards are quite popular, there's a suspend related issue that may affect owners of these motherboards. It deals with the BIOS setting at the time of WinXP installation affecting the availability of the S3 suspend state. It's discussed in a long thread in the alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus newsgroup. You can view it from Google here: XP Standby Mode PSU fan still running

- Peter

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Peter,

That's a good link. Unfortunately I have a Shuttle AK31V3 mobo. I tried the S3 suspend last night and all the fans indeed went off. I scheduled ATI to record a show and sent the computer to standby. However, upon waking from standby I got a device error (video card) and my screen resolution was all jacked up and the ATI card was not working. I'm going to do some more investigating tonight.

I also am finding out that my mobo chipset (VIA KT 266A) is not compatible with the 8500DV firewire. So now that I paid the extra cash for the DV ports, I'll have to shell out some more cash for a separate DV card as well. Pisses me off!

Russell

·
Registered
372 Posts
Russ, if you haven't already, I would suggest instead of digging for another Firewire card, you should look for BIOS updates first. It sounds to me like there are some fairly nasty issues with that board and ACPI sleep states.

And beyond that I would suggest maybe looking into another motherboard. :)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
xwing,

I have the latest bios updates. It really irks me that ATI can't make their card work with ACPI power states. I mean, my nvidia never had a problem. I did a bunch of searching and I always got the response that I should get the 8500DV and that it was such a great card. Well, until I bought it and started having problems I never found out all the crap about it.

As far as a new motherboard is concerned, I wouldn't mind doing that, but I have no idea which mobo will work without a problem. It seems like other mobo's have different problems in playback, performance, etc. Mine works fine except for the lack of ACPI and Firewire support. It's looking more and more like I'll just have to buy a firewire card.

Russell

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm not sure what your current hardware is, but AMD proc MSI boards based on the VIA chipsets have been rock solid for me. I know a host of others have had great results w/ ASUS boards (both INTEL and AMD based).

From what you're describing though, it sounds like it's a motherboard problem, not ATI's card (unless it's a bad card, but that's a long shot). I would be leary of buying another 1394 card to try and fix this if the one on the ATI card isn't working. It really sounds like the Shuttle board has issues with their PCI mapping.

(obvious statement)

If you do get another 1394 card, make sure you can bring it back. ;)

(/obvious statement)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Xwing,

Thanks again for the reply. I managed to get ACPI working, sort of. I scheduled another recording and this time XP woke up correctly and ATI recorded my show correctly. Only problem is, the tv player never turned off so my computer never went back into standby, doh! Is there some sort of setting that needs to be changed so that the tv player turns itself off after recording?

I still haven't got the firewire working correctly. Shuttle says it's ATI's fault, ATI says it's Shuttle's fault, meanwhile I get to pay the long distance bill to sit on hold with ATI :rolleyes:

I'm going to pick up a firewire card from circuit city this afternoon and see what happens. If it works, then ATI "has some splaynin' to do". If it doesn't work, then Shuttle is on the hook.

Bye the way, I found another guy who is running the KT266A chipset so I can rule that out.

Russell

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
It IS ATIs fault. Their software is designed such that if checks off a bunch of items on a requirements list, but was never used by anyone at ATI, so though it has a good "feature list" it is basically usless. I have the ATI AIW radion, and none of the dissapointments have yet been remidied.

1) It will not wake from hibernation to record.

2) it will not close when it is done, so the computer will never hibernate without human intervention.

3) When it is doing a scheduled recording, it brings up the overlay window & blasts the sound at you, so you better not want to do anything else with the computer (say, play a DVD) and expect it to record in the background.

4) They never fix their bugs, only add new "features"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.