AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be building a HTPC in the New Year and I currently have a chance to get XP Pro for the same cost as XP Home. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to Pro compared to Home?

I ask this because I was an early adopter of Win2K for our home PC and went through great pains with hardware driver compatibility for video and sound cards. Would I have a similar problem with XP Pro?

Thanks for any advise and experiences with either of these Operating Systems on a HTPC.

Ray

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is no difference between the actual operability and compatibility of the two. Both kernels are the same.

XP Pro offers some add-in network maintenance tools and administration features, and some other bells and whistles like being able to provide "Remote Assistance" to someone.

So, you will see no operating difference between the two, but XP gives you some tools that you might need later down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Don't forget about Remote desktop.

You need Pro to run a web server. Although there are ways around it with HE, I was never able to get it to work.

I would suggest getting XP PRO

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'd recommend Pro... same services as home plus a few more... as mentioned IIS, Remote desktop and network mgmt tools.

Also, if MS were to ever releases Media Center Edition files as an upgrade it sounds like it would only work with Pro.

Al

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know this is 'sorta off topic but....

Does anybody know HOW of IF XP Home can be networked.

I want to be able to access my desktop C:Drive from my laptop but, I haven't been able to get it to work.

Got sharing turned on / both computers run XP Home and (apparently) seem to be communicating with each other but, I'll be darned if I can get anything other than my shared Cable modem.

Some folks tell me that XP Home doesn't REALLY network and I need to upgrade to Professional Edition. That gets me angry becaause I upgraded specifically because I wanted to network and now have to spend MORE for a capability that advertising and promotion would lead one to think was built into the basic (HOME) product.

Am I missing something really obvious here?

TIA Be well,

·
Registered
12 Posts
use tcp/ip and create a host file it is the %systemroot%\\system32\\drivers\\etc\\hosts. and create entries for each computer on the network.

ie

192.168.1.2 htpc

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks e-vey.

I'm willing to try just about anything but, I'm running XP HOME on both computers. The link talks about 98 to XP set-up.

SEEMS like NETBUI is not suggested (consensus elsewhere?) for a (pure XP) configuration.

Did you mis-read my note or are you suggesting that it WILL work for XP Home to XP Home.

Sorry if this seems dim.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Gunther
I know this is 'sorta off topic but....

Does anybody know HOW of IF XP Home can be networked.

I want to be able to access my desktop C:Drive from my laptop but, I haven't been able to get it to work.
Yes - you can do some networking with HE. If you spell out exactly what you are trying to do and your setup, people can probably help.

One thing in particular to spell out is what you mean by "access my desktop". Do you just want to have your laptop open a file that is sitting on the desktop's hardrive. Or are you trying to have the laptop control the desktop remotely (ala PC-Anywhere)?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have networked maybe 15 or 20 HE machines in the last few months. So far, no troubles, except for one I am still dealing with (some software jerked it around), so I am wondering where you went wrong.

What you may want to try is assigning them IP addresses such as 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0). Then try pinging back and forth. Or you could run ipconfig /all, get what the address are and then ping.

I don't know how you get to the internet, but if it is through cable or DSL, assigning IP addresses will affect how you get out. You will need to know your ISPs DNS IP addresses and put them in.

But I would still try Netbeui on both machines and see what happens. This will tell you if you have a different problem (like wiring). Netbeui is very reliable.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
win XP pro only allows 15 connections max (share or IIS on that particualr computer)

As for the IIS problem. Get Apache. Problem solved. Unless you really have to have the GUI front end. no limitations on amount of users that can connect to the web server

HE can not join a domain. And as such loses alot of Active directory functionality/intergration (which for home use don't mean squat) Remote desktop = Mini terminal server for ONE client only. Unlike terminal services this will actually log you into the console (if you were to visit the machine while you are RD in, you would see " this computer is locked screen")

Also if security is a concern (in HTPC nah but in a LAPTOP it is very critical)

EFS, Encrypted files system, XP pro feature only. uses a pair of symetrical encryption keys to encrypt data on the hard drive. Only the user with the correct key can unecrypt the data from the files. Encryption is based on certificate meaning they start at 512 bit and go all the way up to 4096 bits.

but if you find no need for any of this. Save the money and get HE.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, Thanks folks.

This is encouraging. While I did add the IP addresses to the "Hosts" file and then re-ran the NetworkWizard, it didn't seem to allow me to access the C drive on my Desktop (or vice-versa fir that matter). Yes I want to be able to run a program that lives on my Desktop from my Laptop - With any changes to remain on the Desktop. So, I guess, that's like PC Anywhere?No matter.

Other than examining the IPCONFIG, I haven't done any pinging or anything else from the Command Prompt yet. So I may have to re-configure something. I don't want to send anyone on a wild goose chase unless/until I've confirmed where I'm at right now.

I'm gonna try to start fresh over the weekend and will report experiences then.

Thanks for the help. I need it.

Be well,

·
Registered
12 Posts
you have to share the drive out right click on the drive and select sharing

you may also have to have a password set for the account.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Think I've set the drive up for sharing.

The C: Drive Icon has a Hand Icon under it.

However, I have gotten the error message "You need Administrative Permission to Access" (or words to that effect. I can't figure where to set them - Pretty sure I never set any passwords when I set things up. If I did I don't 'member 'em.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
102 Posts
O.K.

Administration has me flumoxed.

I haven't the foggiest idea how or where to get/grant privilidges.

I swear I looked at the Microsoft Website and couldn't track it down.

Again, I plan to spend some (more) quality time with this over the weekend. If you can suggest how to set these permissions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks all,

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Radar
I will be building a HTPC in the New Year and I currently have a chance to get XP Pro for the same cost as XP Home. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to Pro compared to Home?
Although this isn't an XP Home/XP Pro difference, but it seems particularly appropriate to HTPC, is that XP allows at most 2 monitors, and both must be connected to the same video card.

Windows 2000 Professional has no limitations on the number of monitors or video cards installed and active.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.