AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone confirm that you can use MS Remote Desktop to control an XP Media Center PC just as you can in XP Pro? I know other VNC apps will work to some degree.

This info below is confusing and seems to be quite limiting useless?

Quote:
http://www.xpmce.com/xpmce-faqs/remo...-displays.html

[.2.1] Can I access Media Center via a Remote Desktop Connection by using the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)?

Yes, Media Center in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 supports access via a Remote Desktop Connection, allowing you to access your pictures, view the Guide, and schedule recordings remotely. Some Media Center features are disabled while running in remote mode. Notably, video playback and animated special effects in the UI are disabled. Also, if you are currently logged onto your Media Center PC locally and running Media Center, and then connect to your Media Center PC with Remote Desktop Connection by using the same account, Media Center will automatically shuts itself down. You must manually restart Media Center in order to properly initialize it in remote mode. Note that the original version of Media Center does not support operation over a Remote Desktop Connection and must be run locally on the Media Center PC.

·
Registered
529 Posts
remote desktop works with XP MCE, just not while the application itseld is running. if you remote into the computer it will just exit the program and bring you into windows.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. i'm confused about "application" (i guess media center is an application on a modified XP pro?) but i wont' be using MCE for tivo functions, etc as it doesn't support HDTV to my liking. for now it will serve up DIVX files and MP3s over the network and to my home theater as well as be my "data" drive.

i'm deciding if i shoud install XP pro or XP MCE on the machine as remote desktop is crucial. One example woudl be for me to RD in and use my newsgroup reader and let that run in the background.

all advice appreciated.

·
Registered
529 Posts
yeah i was talking about the MCE application. XP MCE is just a modified version of XP pro. i would say if you are not going to use the DVR in MCE there is not point in installing it. Just use Zoom Player to play your video files. also check out MediaPortal and Meedio for options you can use with XP PRo.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Is it possible to remove the MCE application and services, anyone know how?

·
Registered
529 Posts
no, i dont think it is possible. you can just choose not to use the MCE app tho.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Here is a script I use to stop MCE services and launches the ATI TV viewer:

@ECHO OFF

CLS

ECHO Closing Media Center Services...

net stop ehrecvr

net stop ehsched

"C:\\Program Files\\ATI Multimedia\\main\\ATIMMC.exe" /TV+

CLS

EXIT

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
BTW, you can remote into an MCE AND launch the MCE interface, you just can't view TV.

I've remotely logged into my MCE and scheduled recordings from the office, from within the MCE interface.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.