AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone has tried this yet? I'm downloading from MSDN now and want to know if I can just upgrade or if I'll need to do a fresh install.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like in order to use the 2004 edition (at least the one on the MSDN site) you have have the previous version installed. I'll probably be upgrading this weekend.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have to be a MSDN subscriber to download it. It's quite expensive but have an account at work.

·
Registered
317 Posts
can almost guarantee Microsoft Update won't do it. They're even having OEMs CHARGE previous users!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could install the original MCE as a new install. It wouldn't let you install over another OS.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Are there / will there eventually be any ways to install XP Media Center Edition 2004 directly (i.e. without previous versions) on a blank PC / hard drive?

Do you think it would work well on a home-built PC given that I expect to have a fairly standard config (Intel P4 3.2GHz processor, Intel D875PBZ motherboard, ATI AIW 9600Pro video / capture / FM audio). May add a solid FireWire card, an M-Audio FireWire 410 analog/digital audio interface, and a Fusion HDTV III card, though would not need 100% support for these.

What do you think?

Thanks

Alec

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alec, I haven't seen anything that would allow someone to install the 2004 edition directly. It would work well with your config except MS doesn't support the ATI AIW card. The only card that I know they support is the Win PVR 250.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks for the info, stickman!

What functional areas of the ATI AIW 9600Pro does the XP MC 2004 not support?

It must support it as a graphics card to display static graphics / windows.

It may play videos/DVD's, perhaps using ATI's hardware for acceleration and aspects of decoding / filtering / quality enhancement. The degree of integration here would be good to know.

It may or may not respond to the ATI RemoteWonder II RF remote control.

It may or may not support the NTSC OTA tuner for time shifting / program guide.

It may or may not support the recording from the analog input.

It may or may not support FM time shifting / recording from the built in FM tuner.

It may or may not support built in DVD authoring features.

----------

Another data point comes from ATI's May 28, 2003 press release, "ATI Launches ALL-IN-WONDER® Encode, First Software MPEG2 Encoder For Media Center PCs" http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2003/4655.html

They say: "ATI Technologies Inc. has launched ALL-IN-WONDER® Encode, a software MPEG2 encoder for PCs running Microsoft Windows® XP Media Center Edition. [...] ALL-IN-WONDER Encode is currently available with ATI's highly acclaimed ALL-IN-WONDER® range of combined graphics and TV in/out boards. The combination is the ideal solution for Media Center PCs because an OEM using ALL-IN-WONDER Encode and an ALL-IN-WONDER board saves the PCI slot by including all the TV in/out functionality with industry-leading graphics on a single AGP card.

“ATI's ALL-IN-WONDER Encode will offer OEMs a way to reduce costs, differentiate their Media Center PC offerings and, perhaps most importantly, open the door to new and exciting form factors suitable for any room in the house,†said Kevin Eagan, general manager of the Windows eHome Division at Microsoft Corp."

To me, all of this sort of implies that Media Center should support All-In Wonder cards.

Another piece of info is this: (ATI’s E-HOME WONDER)
http://www.ati.com/products/ehome/index.html

... claiming support of the Media Center.

Comments would be very appreciated.

Alec

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stickman
Alec, I haven't seen anything that would allow someone to install the 2004 edition directly. It would work well with your config except MS doesn't support the ATI AIW card. The only card that I know they support is the Win PVR 250.
I agree with Alec, MCE must support ATI's AIW video cards. A pc vendor, ZTGroup.com sells MCE PCs with the AIW 7500, 9000 and 9800 video cards....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're right, it does support the video card aspects, the TV viewing/recording won't work. I have a ATI AIW 7500 in one of my computers with MCE installed (haven't installed the 2004 version yet) and everything works great except the tv tuner stuff.

I'm very interested in ALL-IN-WONDER Encode. Any idea if you can download it? Can't seem to find a link on ATI's website.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The new MCE 2004 will support ATI AIW 9000 and up. You need an update that some have found on a major PC vendor's site. Check out the forums over at Green Button and xpMCE for details. Basically, ATI is throwing their hat into this ring, and an AIW 9600 Pro becomes a single card solution when using ATI new Encode software and IMO becomes the card of choice because of Fullstream and the other enhancements to video processing. I hope it will awesome hooked up to my Panasonic 42" ED Plasma with DVI.

The only caveat is, you must have 800MHz HT P4, since they optimized the software MPEG2 encoding to use HT. I have my MSDN sub, but I am awaiting the Oct. 26th Intel price cuts on a 2.4GHz 800MHz P4 to get into the channel, and hopefully I will be able to get an AIW 9600 Pro by then too.

·
Registered
554 Posts
jeepman: ditto re: 800MHz HT P4 price cuts and AIW 9600 Pro.

I've contacted ATI regarding its availability. No answer yet. The other answer I want to get from them is, where the heck did references to Remote Wonder II go from AIW 9600 Pro pages? They used to tout the upgraded remote, and now just have a vague reference to an RF remote.

Perhaps it was not compatible with the XP Media Center Edition 2004 and ATI pulled it back to adjust it for compliance (pulling the AIW 9600 Pro it was supposed to ship with, with it)?

Alec

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why would you need the 9000 series ATI card for it to work? My understanding is that the capture portion of the card is the same in all the Radeon cards.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Rats. Got this reply from ATI:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----

From: ATI Customer Service Canada [mailto:[email protected]ati.com]

Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 11:08 AM

To: []

Subject: RE: ATI Technical Assistance

Dear Alec,

Thank you for contacting ATI Customer Service Canada.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your email has been assigned:

TicketGUID:{7E7EBFD6-D678-47A9-A7FE-AC0BF985ED9E}

Please include the above identifier in all future correspondence

relating to this ticket. Note: The TicketGUID identifier must appear

in the message body, not in the subject line.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding Does the RADEON ALL IN WONDER 9600 PRO card ship with the updated Remote Wonder II:

This product hasn't been released yet and we can't confirm any thing yet, however the Remote Wonder II supposed to be included.

Regarding Does Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 support All-In Wonder 9600 Pro:

No, it is not compatible with any ATI ALL IN WONDER product.

Regards,

[.....]

Customer Service Canada

ATI Technologies, Inc.
http://www.ati.com

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alec
Rats. Got this reply from ATI:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding Does Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 support All-In Wonder 9600 Pro:

No, it is not compatible with any ATI ALL IN WONDER product.

Regards,

[.....]

Customer Service Canada

ATI Technologies, Inc.
http://www.ati.com
This can't be right. ZTGroup sells Media Center PCs with the AIW as the only TV tuner board.

Can anyone confirm operation or non-operation?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RacerChris
This can't be right. ZTGroup sells Media Center PCs with the AIW as the only TV tuner board.

Can anyone confirm operation or non-operation?
Dell is selling theirs with an AIW 9000.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I guess that may be the case of an ATI minion making assumptions about the "end-user" contacting them in the context of Microsoft's policy to not supply/support the Media Center PC as a software-only product.

Fromj a corporate 9-5 support job standpoint, must be easier to say it is not supported and end it I guess, vs. explaining the whole issue.

Some hope is back though, and the're still releasing the AIW9600 Pro with the new remote, so, there's good news after all!!

Alec

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.