AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone- I am really frustrated with both Radeon and XP. For last month or so I have been trying to upgrade from ME to XP and have not succeeded yet. For one thing XP constantly rejecting the 6043 driver (latest official) and says that the driver and adaptors are incompatible. I have a LE card that was working flawlessly under ME. What is a working driver for LE?

Secondly, Powerstrip 3.15 having problem with the XP as well. When switched to 1440x960 it simply hangs til time out is expired and it returns to previous R&T. Perhaps there is a missing tweak that I have missed to read! Could some one offer some insight. Thanks

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Not near my HTPC, so I can't give you details. But I run XP Pro, PS (I'll get version) & an LE (seen by XP as a 7200) on PCI. Never had a problem except for ADTV.

I would suggest installing a clean version of XP on a seperate partition and migrating your stuff little by little until you are satisfied. It has been my experiance that upgrades are NOT the way to go.

I'll try to get the version of the Rad driver(s) I have used and the ver of PS.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I don't think I can be much help here other than to tell you that it is working great for me. I have been using XP Pro with a Radeon LE for some time. I also installed Powerstrip for when I was going to set things up for my friend who was using a Panasonic AE100 projector. Everything worked flawlessly. The powerstrip version I used was the latest version. I have used a few different drivers for the Radeon LE and never had a problem with any of them. The one I am currently using is the 6025.

If I were you I would take ramick's advice and install a fresh image of XP Pro. Then add the 6025 video driver from ati.com. Then install your favorite dvd software player. Then install powerstrip. Worked for me :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm running XP-Home edition on two partions of my HTPC. My theater partition has the 6025 ATI drivers for my Radeon 7200 (LE), Hipix latest beta 3, MAudio Delta drivers, PowerStrip 3.15 and it runs flawlessly - I must say that I have only had excellent luck with the 6025 drivers. I've tried all the newer ones and found issues with each one (all different issues), and ended up starting over with the 6025 drivers. I have had issues with this set of drivers when playing games - another reason why I have a second XP partition. Since this partion is used to fire the D-ILA projector using Theatertek software, I have stuck with the tried and true drivers.

On my second partion (used for most everyday use) I use the 6043 drivers, which work great for games. Also running Powerstrip 3.15 - no conflicts or issues.

Brian

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for quick replys. I installed XP pro on a clean HD many times and every time same issues. The only common denominator here appears to be the Radeon driver 6043. But then agin I read it is also a good working driver for LE. So I am puzzled. I just down loaded the 6025 and will try it as a last resort before defecting back to ME.

·
Registered
144 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm also using an XP/Powerstrip/Radeon LE combination with no troubles.

In fact, I was so pleased with XP's performance and reliability that I got rid of my multi-boot setup, and now use the single XP installation for both HTPC and everyday use.

I have not tried the 6043 drivers yet (currently using 6037's). I'll probably update my drivers soon (so that I can re-enable hardware acceleration under PowerDVD), so will let you know if I experience any problems similar to yours.

-Bon

·
Registered
983 Posts
I'm using the 6052 drivers without a problem on my Radeon VE. In fact XP has been far less painful that W98SE or W2K were on the same machine. I also use Powerstrip for 1440x960 resolution and yes, I did install "clean" in a fresh partition.

Chris

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have the same problem that my 7000 LE won't except the latest ATI XP drivers, I get the same error message. Then I noticed my card wasn't an ATI card but a Sapphire Powered by ATI and I remember reading in another thread that the powered by ATI cards will not accept the ATI drivers. Sounds like this may be your problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.