AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XP "Remote Desktop"...why don't we use it to control our HTPC...?

would HTPC perfomance be affected...ffdshow...wmvhd...?

i could envisage I prep the film...settings from my laptop on the couch...withour having to use the 43" plasma...and once ZoomPlayer is in VMR9 fullscreen turn on the movie on the tv...

just a way to hide the nerd move... from the girls..

·
Registered
140 Posts
XP Remote Desktop only allows one session to be logged in at a time. Basically if you logged in with the laptop via RDP then the screen on your plasma would be locked and you couldnt view the movie

·
Registered
219 Posts
I use vnc and my notebook. (Run the server on the htpc, run the client on the remote machine.)

It works great .. much easier to do anything you need the mouse and keyboard for.

Download it from www.tightvnc.com . Install the server on the htpc, make it run all the time. Set or clear the password to whatever you want (behind a firewall, no password is fine .. it's up to you.)

When you connect using the client, select the options you want and type in the name or IP address of the htpc server. I usually use 'best compression', no wallpaper, track the cursor locally and 'restrict pixels to 8 bit' in options. Yes, your video will only appear on the htpc, and not on the client, but you can still control the applications from the vnc client. You might need to mouse over to actually see pop-up menus on the client, but it works fine.

If you're running a firewall on the htpc, you'll have to configure it to allow connections. The default port is 5800. I think you can configure it to allow multiple connections, or to drop old connections if a new one is made.

-David

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
also take a look at Remote Administrator

it's awesome!!!!

it's not free, but way more control, security and options than any VNC offering

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I lose my dual monitor feature when I log in remote desktop. I works ok but I have to configure it again for dual monitors. Bummer......

·
Registered
39 Posts
on the subject of remote VNC.

There is a home brew VNC client for the PSP (yes the saony portable) for version 1.50 firmware or earlier, the screen shots and comments makes it appear that it works very well pver a wireless link.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemiHTPC
on the subject of remote VNC.

There is a home brew VNC client for the PSP (yes the saony portable) for version 1.50 firmware or earlier, the screen shots and comments makes it appear that it works very well pver a wireless link.
please expand...a sony psp can connect to a windows session?

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3watts3
XP Remote Desktop only allows one session to be logged in at a time. Basically if you logged in with the laptop via RDP then the screen on your plasma would be locked and you couldnt view the movie
Why not simply use NetMeeting, included in Windows for free since win98?

NetMeeting allows a large number of remote clients to see and control the host/server PC.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
In vnc you can save your connection while connected under the f8 menu and it lets you save the password in the shortcut. One click and you're on, no typing in the address or password.

Troy

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac
also take a look at Remote Administrator

it's awesome!!!!

it's not free, but way more control, security and options than any VNC offering
RAdmin has been working very well for me, too... and a lot better than any of the VNC products or XP’s Remote Desktop I tried. There are still a few quirks that need to be ironed out. Most of them are promised for the 3.0 release, which after monitoring their forum for several months, I doubt will ever come.

In the meantime I came across Remote Control PRO by alchemy-lab. They used to sell previous versions for serious cash (I believe around $200), but now offer this software for free (not sure why, but I believe they try to use this to better market their other network/corporate IT tools). I only tried it briefly, but from what I saw this is definitely an application to consider.

Here is the link.

____

Axel

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybrubin
please expand...a sony psp can connect to a windows session?
In one word: YES

In more words: Only if you have PSP with vesion 1.50 firmware (the only USA firmware that poeple have so far worked out how to run home-brew software on). Do a google search and I'm sure the VNC app for psp will sow up.

The creators have a list of XP, OSX etc. VNC server software that their PSP code has sucessfuly worked with.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb

NetMeeting allows a large number of remote clients to see and control the host/server PC.
I'm kind of curious about this as well. I assume it allows for the remote machine (laptop) to control the htpc, but not actually remove control and lock out the local display (real monitor).

I'll have to read up on netmeeting.

I did have remote desktop somewhat working with the Main Lobby suite such that the control app (main lobby) was on one desktop and the video was out the other, but I went away from it to MCE for a variety of reasons. Now that I'm putting my equipment in the closet, I'm looking for better remote control for when I'm ripping disks and doing upgrades, etc.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_jensen99
I'm kind of curious about this as well. I assume it allows for the remote machine (laptop) to control the htpc, but not actually remove control and lock out the local display (real monitor).
Correct.

Simultaneous local and remote control are possible with NetMeeting.

You can choose individual windows/apps/ or the entire PC to control remotely.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb

How does it compare to RemoteDesktop as far as speed, quality, etc?

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLT
How does it compare to RemoteDesktop as far as speed, quality, etc?
I don't know. Since NetMeeting is standard with all windows versions since 98, you might want to try it yourself.

In Win98SE, it's in

Start-> Programs -> Accessories -> Communications

It may be located somewhere else in XP Home/Pro.

We use it all the time at work for Powerpoint/etc, allowing remote users to control and/or see the presentation machine.

The NetMeeting host machine chooses what apps (or the entire desktop environment) the clients can see and/or control.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm a big Remote Desktop user, and am generally very pleased with it for work, but not in this application. I'll try the net meeting.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
The XPSP2 hack allows for multiple RDP connections.

My experience is that the VNC flavors don't do as nearly good a job with screen refresh as RDP does.

MainLobby is a much better overall control system for an HTPC.

Wish it had an integrated TV viewer. Was that the reason to go MCE2005? I have MCE2005 too (running MainLobby as well) but still like MainLobby for ALL other purposes.

RDP is great for use with lower powered PC/ Tablets to control a remote PC like an HTPC.

I use RDP in conjunction with PowerTools Autologin to get around local sound issues that RDP has, as you need to log into the console to keep the sound there.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Tried the Remote Desktop 2.0 and couldn't get it to work. Found Beyond Remote
here

Works great and it's free for home use. Much better then VNC/TightVNC. Didn't have to open ports on the router or anything. Connecting via two WAP11's (with encryption) and the response is pretty decent at 256 colors.

Easy installation - no problems so far. Probably have to open up the port if you want to access it via the internet though.

*edit*

Just set my HTPC for wake-on-lan, opened the port triggering for 5424. and it works like a charm for waking up the PC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.