AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried powerstrip but when ever i change screen size say,904x500 then try to go back to 640x480 i have to go in to define new resolutions again and add the new resolution i want to see. The slider wont let me do it.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Glenbob-

You should be able to have Powerstrip put an icon in your System Tray area, and/or add desktop icons for any resolutions you create. You may have to turn off the 'lock desktop' or 'lock taskbar' settings in Win XP to allow these options. Then, with a Powerstrip icon in your system tray, you can click on it and get a menu that will include resolutions you have created. Or, you will have desktop icons that will change to your chosen resolution. I don't know of a good way to get your resolutions into the 'display properties' slider, as indeed you have seen. Good luck.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
If you reinstall your video drivers and reinstall power strip, it usually brings up a dialog box, asking if you want to allow more resolutions to be used. Or something like the operating system may be limiting the capabilities of your monitor.

This was in Windows ME, I'm not sure if it is in XP, but it is a Power Strip box so perhaps it will be.

If you say yes, then you should have just about any resolution available on your system slider. BUT, if you run a game or other app for the first time and it tries to set the overlay to the highest setting allowed then you will exceed the capabilities of your monitor and your screen will go blank. If you use this method, make sure you have a hotkey enabled standard resolution with power strip.

The only way to disable this feature is to go into the registry, or maybe reinstall drivers and power strip. I'm not sure if the latter works. check this thread out. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ion+powerstrip and see Karnis' solution.

using the ctrl key during boot up to use windows safe mode is very useful when dealing with this sort of stuff.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
if you're comfortable going into the registry then.

hkeylocalmachine\\system\\currentcontrolset\\services\\class \\display\\000x\\modes\\32\\ delete the modes you don't want to use. Should work.

this is in Windows ME using ATI drivers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.