AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of purchasing this projector.

I'll have a 15 to 17ft throw, 13-14 ft main seating area.

Screen size will be 6 to 7 ft wide.

I've seen the PLV60, Mitsu X390, and NEC LT155.

I DO NOT LIKE PIXELS. PERIOD.

How much of a difference does the MLA make???

Do any of you have the Cygnus processor? Does it work?

Should I save my $$$, buy the XP18, and get the processor?

Or should I wait for the SXGA (like the hitachi SX5500) -

assuming higher rez means even less pixelization?

IS DVI worth waiting for?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm ready to pull the proverbial

trigger, but don't know if I should get the XP21 (which is

no longer in production) and get one of the newer breeds.

I'll be watching mainly TV and have full control of light,

but don't like watching in dark / dimly lit rooms.

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Aceman

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
MLA improves brightness and decrease screen door effect. LT155 has MLA (LT154 doesn't) so if you tried LT155 and was unhappy with its screen door effect at that distance, I doubt that the XP21N will be much better with its MLA.

If you do a lot of TV in a bright room, you may want to get a RPTV although it won't be as large of an image for the same money (71" HDTV ready RPTV will run over 5K). 2500 lumens is OK for sports in a lit room but for movies it'll still need some dimming. May be you should go for 3000 lumens LCD like the Mits X400.

If you hate screendoor that much, may be the Infocus LP530 may be more your style although it only has 2000 lumens which means light should be dimmed a little. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Aceman-

IMO, if seeing pixels/screendoor really bothers you, then I would recommend staying away from LCD projectors altogether and look into DLP or LCOS/DILA projectors. It's as much the technology (fill factor) as the resolution that practically eliminates seeing pixels on other projectors.

I've considered the Sanyo '21N myself but right now I'm waiting on pins to see (or at least read!) what the new LCOS projectors like the Hitachi SX5500 look like before making any decisions.

BTW, conventional wisdom says that your seating distance to the screen (2xscreen width) should make the screendoor a non-issue on the XP21N, but everyone is different and some people seem to have problems with screen door no matter what.

:KenCave

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ken,

Funny you mention the SX5500. I'm also waiting to see it.

It may do the trick. With street prices arond 6500 though,

it's a good jump in price. But then again, if its more

"film like" = its got to be worth it.

Thanks for the input.

Aceman

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I find that seating distance slightly greater than 2 times screen width makes pixels a total nonissue for the xp21n. But if you are absolutely fanatical about pixels, best to avoid LCD sltogether.

Dan

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Aaron Giles in the past said:

"LT154 - 900 lumens, no MLA

LT155 - 1200 lumens with MLA

LT156 - 1200 lumens with MLA and DVI input"

There are overwhelming concensus that the above statements are true :)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=LT154 discussed the LT155.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
My 38t looks a whole lot like my LP350 did up close, as far as grid width/screen door goes. My kid is really sensitive to screen door, and 15' from an 80" wide image is great according to him (and the same for me and the wife and friends). At one time I thought I was seeing screen door which turned out to be scaling artifacts/pixelization caused by relying on the internal scaler. That dissappeared with the Quadscan Elite. So, not every blocky/stairstep edge you see is screen door. Since the screen door is a non-issue at that distance, all you focus on the the brilliant color and detail allowed by high lumens and contrast. Don't wait.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Aceman,

I tested the XP18n (no MLA) side-by-side with the LT155 (MLA). I thought the screen door was about the same between each one.

I have not seen the XP21n however.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Recommend you get the Boxlight version from Studio Experience. The big reason why is that their guarantee covers everything INCLUDING dead pixels, for 3 full years. Sanyo does no cover dead pixels nearly as well and not at all for one or several.

Noah, that's right, I have the same setup as Joe, except with a Grayhawk, and it is amazing. Ain't no substitute for brute lumens!

Dan

·
Registered
332 Posts
Dan wrote: "Recommend you get the Boxlight version from Studio Experience. The big reason why is that their guarantee covers everything INCLUDING dead pixels, for 3 full years. Sanyo does no cover dead pixels nearly as well and not at all for one or several. "

This is confusing. Projector Central lists the Boxlight as having a two year warranty. When I sent them an Email about pricing and the two year warranty, they responded about pricing, but didn't tell me I was wrong on the warranty. Did they send you a written warranty which included specific statements about dead pixels, or is this a verbal thing conveyed by the sales representative?

Thanks,

Chuck Davis

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have a LCD with bad pixel stucture for al you with LCD that want to make screen door a non issue get the IMX 900 lens I know some of you say it's just a defoucser, But I disagree, My Lcd look so much more film like with this lens. just my 1 1/2 cents

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't doubt the lense, just can't get a hold of Cygnus, they

don't seem to be all that reliable from what I read on teh forum.

Is there anyone else out there that makes this type of lense???

Aceman

·
Registered
39 Posts
Aceman,

Just an FYI, The Sanyo XP21N is still in production. There are plenty already in stock here in the US, and more on order from the factory in Japan. There should be new stock available for months to come.

Mike

·
Registered
332 Posts
Dan wrote:

"Recommend you get the Boxlight version from Studio Experience. The big reason why is that their guarantee covers everything INCLUDING dead pixels, for 3 full years."

From Studio Experience:

"Two year warranty on that unit, Parts and Labor, dead pixels are covered..."

I believe the three year warranty only applies to Studio Experience branded projectors. The others follow the manufacturer's warranty period. Two years for Boxlight, in this case.

Chuck Davis

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.