AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I naively made the assumption that my XP21N's lamp had a 2,000 hour life. It failed at about the 800 hour mark, and Sanyo tells me, "No, it's a 1,000 hour lamp." Oh...

I'd like to know if this is the general consensus in our forum. Also, can anybody quote Sanyo's literature where they claim only a 1,000 hour lamp life?

The lamp housing was cracked in two places (but fully intact). I have no way of proving it, but I suspect that the cracks occured before the last power-down. The projector itself never moves, so it's not from any kind of impact. Lamp age should have nothing to do a cracked shroud--right? Isn't it more likely that this is a symptom of ineffective lamp ventilation?

Frank

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Well, that was my understanding as well, but I got this information off of Projector Central. See this link:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...m?part_id=1108

Says very clearly there that lamp life is 2000 hours. I probably would not have bought this projector if I had known the lamp would only last 1000 hours.

Anyone else with info on this?

Dan

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Sanyo does not spec the lamp life on anywhere on their page, and all their resellers who do list the lamp life say 2000 hours. The Sanyo part number is 610-282-2755 and the best price I can find for it is $364. If Sanyo readily knows that its lamp is rated at 1000 hours, why do they let resellers advertise it otherwise? I think intentially permitting misinformation about their product is almost as bad as fibbing about it themselves.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Joe:

ABSOLUTELY! The filter on the underside should be vacuumed FREQUENTLY. What did you think the lifetime of your bulb was? I thought 2000 hours as well. Did you know it was only 1000?

Dan

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I thought a read somewhere that it was 2000. Probably on Projector Central.

------------------

Joe

My current idea of the best value:

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

Da-Lite 100" 4:3 1.3gain

Studio Experience SE616's

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
154 Posts
What it says is that it's total life should be 2000 but I had always thought from somewhere that it began to decline at 1000. You could always use it after that but it would become worse and worse until at 2000, it was totally dead.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
A long time ago I started a thread about the age curve behavior of lamps. The consensus of the smart guys then was that a bulb starts out at its brightest. Then it loses about 20% of it's brightness pretty quickly, like maybe within 50 or 100 hours. Then it levels off and stays at 80% till it blows.

------------------

Joe

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Lets see... 2.5 hours of TV per night thats 17.5 hours a week or 910 hours a year.

Ouch, this bulb thing looks like a painful reality of owning an LCD or DLP projector.

I am buying my first projector from AVS and I hope Projector Central's specs are correct in saying the bulb lasts 2000 hours.

Looks like I had better keep a good stock of bulbs in the house.

Do these bulbs show any signs when they begin to fail or are they just like regular lightbulbs? Do you know how many times I have flipped on a light and had the bulb burn out instantly?...MANY TIMES! I am wondering if some sort of power conditioning could help out with on/off power surges and extend bulb life?

------------------
James' DIY Speakers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CORRECTION FROM SANYO:

I've just been re-informed by Sanyo (Sanyo Fisher Service Corporation, actually) that the lamp's half-life is 1000 hours, while the total life *is* 2000 hours. Still, it appears that Sanyo does not publish this information directly. Like myself, my dealer had to refer to Projector Central's database to find the lamp life.

My lamp is a month beyond its warranty period, but they faxed me a claim form to submit anyway. Given that the lamp hadn't reached its half-life and the shroud was cracked, I hope they replace the lamp at no cost. We'll see...

Folks, open your Sanyo and check the lamp--is it cracked? It might be worth your while to check.

Frank

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Heck, I'm still grumbling about having to remove the projector from the mount to clean the frick'n foam filter (great alliteration, huh?).

------------------

Joe

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I've been too lazy to look, but are there any filters that I need to be keeping clean? My projector is on all the time, and I've recently gotten this nagging feeling about it.

------------------

Joe

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

and some other stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status