AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Sanyo XP21N compatible with a 16:9 screen so that 16:9 programming material would fill the screen and 4:3 material would fill the centre portion of the screen?

What would be a reasonable maximum size screen for the XP21N without sacrificing picture quality assuming that I use a Greyhawk microperf screen? My primary seating would be about 15 feet from the screen, and therefore, I would like to use a screen at least 96" wide.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The XP21N has a widescreen mode fits both 16:9 and 4:3 material on a 16:9 screen. At 15', you could go with a 106" screen and have a very good image. I sit about 14' from my 96" greyhawk and the image is very good, but I wouldn't want to be much closer than that. Screen door is a problem still at about 10'. It is very rarely noticable at 14'.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When switching between 16:9 material in widescreen mode and 4:3 material in regular mode is there any change in vertical height of the image (i.e., 16:9 material is blown up in widescreen mode so that it fills the entire 16:9 screen as compared to 4:3 material which would be centered on the screen)?

Jonmx, on your 96" greyhawk (I assume that 96" is the width) do you find that the image is washed out at all?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
If you keep the Sanyo in widescreen mode, it will display the 16:9 image as the 16:9 just the same as it was in normal mode. The difference comes for the 4:3 image. In normal mode, the 4:3 image will be taller than the screen (16:12 on 16:9 screen). In widescreen mode, the 4:3 image is mapped down to fit in the 16:9 screen (12:9) so you have black bars on the side. The downside is not all the pixels are being used even for 4:3. But when watching DVD's in normal mode it is annoying when credits, menus, and intros don't fit on the 16:9 screen. So widescreen is better.

The XP21N only looks washed out in daylight viewing. The XP21N can handle much bigger screens. But my 96" is the diagonal, not the width.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Jonmx:

Can you please explain the "widescreen mode"? As I understand it, the XP21N projects a 4:3 image and widescreen (16:9) would have black/grey bars on the top and bottom (is this normal mode..?)

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
In wide screen mode, a 4:3 image is mapped down so it has does not use the whole width or the whole height of the LCD panel. Let's say you have a 160" wide x 90" high screen. In normal mode the 4:3 image would be projected as 160" x 120" and would not fit on to your 16:9 format screen. You would have to manually zoom the projector in to make it fit inside. In widescreen mode, the image is mapped down to be 120" wide and 90" high. It does this not by zooming, but by using only a portion of the panel.

The downside is you lose resolution, but it beats having to manually adjust the projector every time a DVD swithes from 16:9 to 4:3. Most DVDs use 4:3 for menus and resolution isn't vital there, but it is nice to be able to read the menu instead of having 25% of the menu off screen and not readable.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having the 4:3 image mapped down seems like a fair compromise considering if the projector is to be used for widescreen material such as DVD or HDTV.

Does the XP21N have an automatic zoom with memory so that it could be set to zoom down a 4:3 image to fit onto a 16:9 screen while using the entire LCD panel?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
If you set up the projector so that it just fits the width of your 16:9 screen when zoomed all the way out, there is just enough zooming to fit the 4:3 image inside the 16:9 when zoomed all the way in. I don't know of any automatic setting, but it is just one button push on the remote to zoom in. I am not sure the added resolution adds too much for the menus and credit scenes. For my 96" diagnonal 16:9 screen, the lens of my projector is just about 13' back from the screen to fit the width of the screen when zoomed all the way out.

If you want to be able to zoom in to fit the 4:3 image inside, you should be pretty percise where you locate your projector.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply. I am interested in being able to use the full panel resolution in 4:3 mode for video games and possibly TV viewing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a 21N and a Quadscan. They are not up right now as I am in the process of building an HT room. I am pretty sure the Widescreen mode only works with the component video input. I f you are using an external scaler, the scaler would do what you want. As for using the zoom, the image grows vertically when zooming. I think when you are ceiling mounted the image will grow at the bottom with just a small amount at the top. So theoretically you could shrink the 4:3 image to fit on the 16:9 screen. I have not tried it. If it works I will use the zoom over the scaler to achieve 4:3 on 16:9.

------------------

Through man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world...

- Saint Arnoldus

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for all the "newbie" questions but you seem to be the guy to ask when it comes to the XP21N.

"If you keep the Sanyo in widescreen mode, it will display the 16:9 image as the 16:9 just the same as it was in normal mode."?

Does this mean its displayed with bars at the top and bottom?

And what do you think of displaying in normal mode for 4:3, and using an ISCO II for 16:9?

Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.