AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I own the Sanyo XP21N, and I saw the Sharp at CEDIA. I don't think there is a better digital projector (well under $30K anyways) than the Sharp.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Jonmx:

Having seen both, how do you compare the Sharp vs. your XP21N (I have one too and love it!)

Dan

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Jonmx:

These screen shots are AWESOME! Are you saying the Sharp tops the incredible color in these shots?

Also, would appreciate your help. I'm having trouble getting the Panasonic RV80, Quadscan Elite and Boxlight 38T to work together on scaling. Please see my new thread over on video processors. Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
884 Posts
WOW

These are beautiful johnmx. Shots like these help contribute to the affliction know as upgrade-idees .

Thanks for the stimulus now I have to sit in a dark room and chant I love my set up, I love my set up ! And to think in a recent post I said that I had my disorder under control . Happy viewing John

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by johnathan:
WOW

These are beautiful johnmx. Shots like these help contribute to the affliction know as upgrade-idees .
Good thing you didn't attend CEDIA. That was real hell for those on a budget.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHouck:
Jonmx:

These screen shots are AWESOME! Are you saying the Sharp tops the incredible color in these shots?

Also, would appreciate your help. I'm having trouble getting the Panasonic RV80, Quadscan Elite and Boxlight 38T to work together on scaling. Please see my new thread over on video processors. Thanks.

Dan
The Sharp has a 16:9 panel so it puts up 25% more pixels and was fed a 1080i signal from a special made video to show off the display. Plus Sharp was professionally calibrated and in a totally darkened room. Any normal person would be floored by the image from the Sanyo XP21N. But the image I saw at CEDIA of the Sharp did provide more detail.

As far as the Quadscan Elite, I don't know if I will use it with my Sanyo. I perfer using the feeding the 480p signal from my Panasonic RP91 to the projector, that way the Sanyo will automatically scale the image to my 16:9 screen (widescreen mode). Plus I am happy with the image and like the colors better just using the RP91. I'll go look at your post in that forum to see if I can add anything.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jonmx:

Thanks alot for the screen shots. They really are awesome and I'm pretty sure I would be floored, but as you said, the pictures in the Sharp thread do have more detail and I like the color and sharpness of the Sharp 9000U.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Jonmx:

Thanks for your comments. When I FINALLY (sigh!) get my Panamorph, I'll see how that impacts the pixel brightness and detail you talked about. Plus, I've worked through my settings problems with the help of Joe House and also have discovered the projector should work fantastically with the Panamorph.

So now I'm REALLY ANTSY to get my Panamorph!

Now that I've mastered the really crappy user interface of the QSE I have to say that performance-wise it is a great match with the XP21N/Boxlight 38T. I suggest you give it a try but make sure you read my final results over on the video processor side first!

BTW, my earlier work, which included manipulating the PC inputs settings and saving stuff to memory left me pretty impressed with the scaling capabilities of this projector. It may suck on de-interlacing but, for practical watching, it shines on custom scaling ability and allows one to really play with aspect ratio and screen fill issues that seem to crop up on at least a few older DVDs. Like the Horse Whisperer, whose weird output precipitated all this fiddling.

Thanks again for the screen shots. They were just amazing!

Dan

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Dan,

Your comments regarding scaling and aspect-ratio control suggests that very good results could be obtained using a progressive-scan DVD player with the XP21N. In such a set-up would it be fair to say that the use of an outboard scaler is not necessary?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Scott:

It's hard to say because I manipulated the aspect ratio of an image that had already been run through the QSE. I don't own a progressive scan DVD player, the RV80 is interlaced only.

All I can say for certain is that I was able to use the internals of the projector to correct some pretty serious screen fill and aspect ratio problems with several disks without introducing a lot of visibly ugly stuff to the picture.

But Jonmx, seems to be saying that, yes, the internal scaler of the projector works just fine with a progressive player.

Quote:
As far as the Quadscan Elite, I don't know if I will use it with my Sanyo. I perfer using the feeding the 480p signal from my Panasonic RP91 to the projector, that way the Sanyo will automatically scale the image to my 16:9 screen (widescreen mode). Plus I am happy with the image and like the colors better just using the RP91. I'll go look at your post in that forum to see if I can add anything.
Joe House has tried the experiment you're talking about I believe. He has the Panny RP91. But he's running it through the QSE which means he's not using progressive output of the player. But I believe he's tried exactly what you asked and I also believe he's posted some observations in an earlier thread.

I just sent him an email and asked him to jump in and see if he can answer your question.

Dan

[This message has been edited by DanHouck (edited 09-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by DanHouck (edited 09-20-2001).]

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Ya, I tried the RP91 and the Toshiba 6200 direct. I guess I was pretty spoiled by the deinterlacer and scaler in the LP350, because edges, like Dr. Evil's head, were pretty course and stair-steppy, and it seemed like the screen door was pronounced. My 12 year old really complained. When I let the Quadscan Elite do the deinterlacing and scaling, that all went away, and now he thinks I'm a genius again. Since processing can't make screendoor go away, it must have really been processing artifacts. I tried both DVD players in the component inputs of the 38t, and it was the same exact story. The RP91 has a lot more control features, so you could make it much more presentable, but it was like a bandaid on a gash in hindsight (which is 20/20). I really think it needs a scaler (and I mean SCALER) to look perfect and professional (which it does).

------------------

Joe

"I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have tried both a HTPC and the Quadscan Elite/RV80 with my 21N clone and although I was very favorably impressed with the QSE I really prefer the HTPC. I have hesitated to post this since so many are happy with their QSE setup but I really think the HTPC brings out even more performance. The picture has even more punch and depth with the HTPC and there is more control over the color. I had high hopes for the QSE and I do think it is an excellent product but the HTPC rules. For TV I am using the Toshiba DST3000 DirecTV Receiver, which scales STV very nicely.

Lenny Eckian

[This message has been edited by leckian (edited 09-20-2001).]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.