AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just exactly what is the difference between the Auto1 and Auto2 settings on this Panasonic XP30?

Yes, I've heard that "Auto1" is the "recommended" setting, but I haven't been able to find any information on exactly what the differences in processing between two are, and I'd like to know.

I think it would be helpful to know what they do, exactly, if not just to satisfy my curiosity, but also so that the proper one can be selected in a manner a bit more scientific than "well I think this one looks better".

I assume the "video" mode is for deinterlacing standard 60field/sec NTSC signal... but "Auto1" and "Auto2" are rather mysterious labels and the manual is no help either.

Anyone know? Thanks!

·
Registered
931 Posts
"There are three deinterlacing modes on this player, but only two are worth using: Auto 1 and Auto 2. Auto 1 uses the FLI2200 to analyze the picture cadence and make decisions about film or video mode on the fly. However, the FLI2200 doesn't have a good NTSC 2-2 pulldown mode (used for 30 fps progressive material), so to improve the performance of 2-2 material, Panasonic added Auto 2, which forces the FLI2200 into film mode when it sees a 2-2 progressive flag pattern in the MPEG stream. There is also a video mode but strangely enough if you force it into video mode, DCDiâ„¢ is disabled.

Given the relative dearth of 2-2 titles in the US, Auto 2 is unlikely to add much value here. If you know that a particular title is 30 fps progressive, then it might be worth trying Auto 2, but in general we'd leave it on Auto 1. In Europe, however, 2-2 pulldown is very common, so Auto 2 might be a good default. The FLI2200 chip will auto-detect 2-2 pulldown if the source is PAL, so it might not be necessary to use Auto 2 even then. With Auto 2 the user should be watchful for combing artifacts, and switch to Auto 1 if they rear their head"

from the DVD shoot out
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...deInt=0&mpeg=0

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. Thanks guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.