AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the DTS 96/24 CDs that are available now. I have a CD that is a DVD-Audio CD, but it also has a DTS 94/24 track as well. Now, I know my XP30 DVD player supports this, but do I also need a receiver that supports 94/24 decoding to enjoy the 96/24 quality? I am able to play it via my Sony Da30-ES receiver, I just connected the optical out from the XP30 to the receiver and it does show DTS when the disc is playing. I just dont know if I am truly hearing 96/24. My Xp30 also provides for upsampling of normal CDs. Does my receiver also have to support that in order to hear the superior 96/24 upsampled sound?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
If you use the digital out on the Xp30 you need a receiver capable of decoding dts 96/24, if it cannot it will simply play it back as normal DTS. I don't think the XP30 can decode dts 96/24 either, I have an XP50. It simply decodes it as normal DTS and throws away the extensions. I have a Sont STR-DA4ES receiver and a panasonic XP50 player, I have the DTS set to bitstream on the XP50, and when I set the Sony Receiver to auto decode, it indicates on the display that it is decoding dts 96/24. If you set the dts digital out to bitstream your receiver has to be capable of reading and decoding DTS 96/24, if it is not you will only get normal DTS. If you try and have the XP30 decode the DTS on the disc, it will give you normal DTS since it cannot decode dts 96/24 (dts 96/24 is readable without any extension information as normal DTS for backwards compatibility).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.