AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a review on the XP30 and they are saying one of the cons is it can't do 5.1 - that its all down converted to 2 ch stereo. I just place a overprice bid on ebay so I wouldn't have to watch the auction like a hawk. I based it on tons of people here saying, Hey, if you can't find an RP82, then you can't go wrong with a XP30 or XP50. No one mentioned "IT DIDN'T HAVE 5.1 OUT". I have a $3,500 surround system. Please someone tell me this isn't true surly by the time they built this in 2002 they knew 5.1 was a must on all systems - Why would they have a Optical Output in the back. It just doesn't make since, Please tell me the review was incorrect and that the unit wasn't dumbed down so people would buy the XP50. Praying, david

·
Registered
13,495 Posts
I haven't see any DVD players don't DD out. Even a $10 DVD player will do optical or Coax DD out. Don't confuse it with DD 5.1 decoding though. I think that is what the review mean no 5.1 out - that is the player don't have 6 audio output jacks for 5.1 analog out. Some early models (expensive) did that because DD5.1 receiver is rare those days. Most Players don't do DD 5.1 decoding now because it is simply a waste of money. DD/DTS pass through is all you need. And all DVD players down convert 5.1 to stereo - on stereo output that is.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think your right, I have read 10 more reviews and none are saying no 5.1 out. A lot of them sure word it in a strange way though. OK, heart slowing back down to 120/80 wheeewww thanks david

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
They mean that there is no 5.1 analog outputs. The optical output would send the 5.1 sound to your receiver.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
I have a Panasonic XP30. It does not have discrete analog 5.1 outputs, this is true of most DVD players except the real high-end models with DVD-audio. The XP30 has an optical digital output that connects to a Dolby Digital receiver with an optical digital input. Most DD receivers nowadays will decode the bitstream from the DVD player in both DD5.1 and DTS modes - giving you full 5.1 (and more if you have a higher-end 6.1 or 7.1 receiver). haven't you ever used a DVD player with a digtal output for 5.1 audio before? If you want analog 6.1 audio output, the pansonic Xp50 has that. But I can tell you the XP30 does provide digital output capable of full DD5.1 or DTS5.1 - and it works very well with a receiver that handles those formats.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Rhomes, if you have a $3500 surround system, then you REALLY need to check into getting dvd-a and sacd capability. While DD and DTS is nice, in fact necessary these days, you also need to hear the hi-rez audio in surround. Ask for more comments, not just mine. JR

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jerrich, I agree I should but the XP50 has been running $350+ and I just didn't want to pay high dollar for a used DVD player, also I don't know what titles are out there since I havn't had a DVD-A player your right I probably should.

Sorry guys I didn't mean to sound like a dumb ass, but even the manual only says if you connect it optically to a receiver then you can get surround. While in 2 other places they word if funny stating you only get stereo (They were talking about if you put in a DVD-A in the XP30 - I think). It seemed in-fathomable but I thought just my luck I'd find out it was really striped down or something. Now lets hope it works - It's a used one. Thanks david

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Another point to consider is that most DVD-A titles will have the surround mix in DD and/or DTS, so your existing receiver will decode them just like it would decode a movie.

That is how I got my feet wet with DVD-A. You won't be hearing a truly hi-rez version, but DD and DTS can sound very, very good with the right software.

BGL

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
In the XP30/XP50 user's manual on the page showing digital optical connection to a receiver says for both you get "surrond" which is Panasonic's term for eithe DD5.1 or DTS multi-channel sound. Its just a terminology thing - you are thinking "surrond" is 2channels only, but its multi-channel they just didn't explicity state DD5.1 or DTS there. The Pansonic manuals are not very complete or detailed, but the XP30 does pass the complete DD or DTS bitstream over the digital audio port! If you didn't read the manual so closely and just connected and used the XP30 you wouldn't have a problem. On the page where it says for XP30 you get stereo that was on the page where they show how to connect only the 2-channel analog outputs to a TV, so thats correct for that type of connection - so it makes sense. The XP30 doesn't support DVD-audio discs, thats for the XP50 only.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read 10 reviews and no one use the term 5.1 or DTS or DD and one out of the 10 said no surround just stereo. If one would have said it, I would have relaxed but none did. The manual doesn't even use the terms DD or DTS or 5.1 so that threw me. I knew 99.99999% it did I just wanted to here from a owner. I have a Sony 777ES that I paid $1500 for and Bose Accutimass 15 and it rocks.

Thumperboy, does the power cord have a universal connector where it plugs into the back of the unit? The one I bought doesn't have a power cord although they say it powered on correctly. I know I can get one from Radio Shack for $3.50 and at worse case Ican order one from Panasonic's website. But I think it is a universal power cord 2 pronged type. thanks david

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
If you have $3500 surround system, RP82 or XP50 probably isn't good enough either. Sounds like you need a higher end DVD-A/SACD player.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
If you have $3500 surround system, RP82 or XP50 probably isn't good enough either. Sounds like you need a higher end DVD-A/SACD player.
As a previous owner of an RP-82 (DVD-A) and current owner of a Denon 1600 (DVD-A) and cheapo Pioneer 563 (DVD-A and SACD) - you'll be fine with your system. I don't think you with your system (rrhomes) will be able to distinguish the differences with a higher end DVD-A / SACD source. Stick with the XP-30 and when you decide to go multi channel hi-res there will be a ton of players out there for you. DVD Audio and SACD software is not cheap currently. The optimal speaker type and placement requirement are different for multichannel music than it is for movies. Live with the XP-30 for a while and enjoy. You will be hit with the upgrade bug like all of us here and when that time comes you will have many options.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The XP30 does have a 2prong jack on the back for the power plug. It looks similar to others I've seen but I've never tried a differnt cord other than the one that came with it to see if they are interchangeable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.