AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XpanD Universal 3DTV Glasses Coming This June

Quote:
The next set of glasses being released are called the X103 series, and they are designed to be universal active shutter glasses, which will be able to interpret the signals from all the major 3DTV sets - Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Sony, as well as the signals used in Nvidia 3D Vision glasses. The glasses to be in stores by June, and will come in 12 colors. Final pricing wasn't set yet, but it will probably be in the $125 to $150 range.
http://www.glassesfree3dtv.com/

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
I'm surprised Nvidia would allow Xpand to use their IR signal. Wonder how much money nvidia is going to make off each pair sold.

Or is it possible that Xpand figured out what frequency the nvidia glasses were using, and simply implemented it into their new glasses, without having to pay any fees? I don't know patent laws good enough, hell, can you even patent an IR frequency?

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That didn't take long.

For the same price as the CEM ASG's, you can now buy these and not be concerned with the proprietary ones from the CEM's.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Ok, I read another article on the new X103s. They periodically scan for new IR frequencies, which is a very cool way to do things. This should make them nearly 100% compatible with all displays that use IR.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Xpand is offering a complete "Kit" with 5 Glasses and its own IR Setup for $1K; . I think that is a bit much right now.. but i figure as things get under way, we are talking probably 1/2 this price in a year. I mean,, BD players were in the $500 range not too long ago..

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePill /forum/post/18328748

Xpand is offering a complete "Kit" with 5 Glasses and its own IR Setup for $1K; . I think that is a bit much right now.. but i figure as things get under way, we are talking probably 1/2 this price in a year. I mean,, BD players were in the $500 range not too long ago..

That kit is for their 3D Gaming Station:

http://www.xpandcinema.com/products/gaming-station/

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
What about the X103 and DLP Link projectors?

·
Registered
973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown /forum/post/18340284

What about the X103 and DLP Link projectors?

Here is what XpanD told me when I asked about the glasses supporting DLP Link and Bluetooth (Vizio):

Quote:
Hi Peter,

X103 are only IR based. X104 will also supurt BT and DLP-Link.

The glasses use replaceable battaries.

Looks like we need to wait for the X104 glasses for truly universal ones!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Lee Stewart and I have been conversing in the converter thread about glasses. So as to not to bog that thread down I am posting my findings here. I got a chance to speak with a rep from Xpand on the phone today. She told me the X102s will be available again in 2 weeks after all the pre orders have been fulfilled. Basically if you submit an email with your info and quantity they will contact you and your order will be met in the order it was received in. So if you have a DLP you use for 3d these glasses are as good as it gets. Just wanted to pass this on.

Cheers

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 /forum/post/18343953

Here is what XpanD told me when I asked about the glasses supporting DLP Link and Bluetooth (Vizio):

Looks like we need to wait for the X104 glasses for truly universal ones!

LOL - and if you are one of those; "money is no object" kind of people, or the weight of shutter glasses is a real turnoff, you can go with . . .

Titanium X104 XpanD Universal Active Shutter Glasses.

Rumored to cost $250 a pair. Considered by XpanD to be; "the holy grail" of ASGs.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I just got my email from Rorey @ Xpand. I am now on the waiting list for the

X102 glasses. I have done my research on these ever since 3d at home was announced. I had difficulty in finding glasses, particularly the Samsung glasses. I saw the IO glasses and it probably would have been the cheapest alternative but I guess I was being picky. Anyways, I read about the Xpand glasses from a guy who wrote a review about the Samsung glasses on Best Buy who said the Xpands were top notch. So long story short went to Xpand site, read about X102, saw they bundled them with Mitsubishi DLP tvs w/gaming station, called Samsung tech support, confirmed that the DLP link glasses had been tested with their DLPs and work. In fact in their resource book there were many glasses that were compatible. Well as we all know Xpand X102 have been out of stock for some time and I did find one pair of Samsung glasses from Vann's. I figured just buy one pair and see if I even like 3d. It turns out I love 3d and I need more glasses for the wifey and one other guest. I finally called Xpand this past Friday and spoke to Rorey @ Xpand and I asked her, do these glasses work with DLP tvs? She said yes they do. So I have officially had confirmation from the manufacturer of my set and the manufacturer glasses that I wish to purchase. So I feel pretty confident that these glasses will work and out perform my Samsung glasses by a long road. Now I just sit and wait....

Cheers

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Mira Milovanović from Xpand is whom confirmed the X102s would work with my DLP. That makes two reps from Xpand and one from Samsung.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
DLP-Link glases do not use any connection to the DLP TV to control their shutters.

Only the glases used to be sold by Mitusbishi and which received only an IR signal

required an IR emitter which also used to be sold my Mitsubishi that was connected to the DLP TV require a connectiion.

It turns out that all all DLP TVs output a quick light pulse to the TV screen between frame changes which the Human eye does not detect. Knowing this the DLP-Link 3D glases were developed to use this light pulse as the signal to switch their shutters.

Therfore glases such as the DLP-link X102 model as described in the following link work also with 3D DLP TVs.

http://xpand3dtv.com/xpand-x102--dlp...d-gla1023.html

The user's manuals for the current generation of Mits DLP RPTVs only staste that an emitter that connects to their emitter connection and uses compatible glases for 3D can be used and the manual provides no reference to any vendor where these items can be purchased. The manual does confiirm that a checkerboard formated [email protected] is still what is required in order to display 3D

Following in a link to a IR emitter and glases that work with the Mits or Samsung 3D DLP or RPTVs and also with the Samsung 3D plasmas that have an IR emitter connection on them.

http://www.i-glassesstore.com/dlp3d-bundl-adv.html

·
Registered
7,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18362043

DLP-Link glases do not use any connection to the DLP TV to control their shutters.

Only the glases used to be sold by Mitusbishi and which received only an IR signal

required an IR emitter which also used to be sold my Mitsubishi that was connected to the DLP TV require a connectiion.

It turns out that all all DLP TVs output a quick light pulse to the TV screen between frame changes which the Human eye does not detect. Knowing this the DLP-Link 3D glases were developed to use this light pulse as the signal to switch their shutters.

Therfore glases such as the DLP-link X102 model as described in the following link work also with 3D DLP TVs.

http://xpand3dtv.com/xpand-x102--dlp...d-gla1023.html

The user's manuals for the current generation of Mits DLP RPTVs only staste that an emitter that connects to their emitter connection and uses compatible glases for 3D can be used and the manual provides no reference to any vendor where these items can be purchased. The manual does confiirm that a checkerboard formated [email protected] is still what is required in order to display 3D

Following in a link to a IR emitter and glases that work with the Mits or Samsung 3D DLP or RPTVs and also with the Samsung 3D plasmas that have an IR emitter connection on them.

http://www.i-glassesstore.com/dlp3d-bundl-adv.html

Technically, it was Samsung that released shutter glasses and the emitter in the past, I don't believe Mits ever did.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts