AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For months I searched for reviews on whole house video/dvd servers and usually only found Kaleidescape reviews :)])

So I thought I would post a quick review (all imho) on the Xperinet solution. I did look at the Kaleidescape and other systems for whole house dvd distribution. I was even able to demo a Kaleidescape for a bit and was very impressed. The K system is very solid and the UI was well done (software system is great on this thing). I can say that if my funds were unlimited, I would of purchased a Kaleidescape. But that wasn't the case, and while I felt the K system is the best, for me, it wasn't 10k-15k better than the Xperinet solution (difference in price for a comparable Kaleidescape). So I eventually decided on the Xperinet primarily because of price.

My Xperinet Trident server came in a couple of days ago. The server I ordered can hold up to 4 terabytes (I went with 2.5 terabytes) and streams to 7 zones.

I hooked the server up to my router and to a pc monitor. Now I am in the process of transferring DVDs to the Xperinet in anticipation of our move into our new house. I have watched some movies on it (albeit on a 18" sony monitor) and have transferred about 50 movies so far.

Quick thoughts on the X system:

*Right off you can tell they used off the shelf components, quality parts, just nothing out of the ordinary, in regards to standard raid server boxes. It does not have the custom made feel of a Kaleidescape.

*The software they use is a modified version of a freeware program, though I must say it works well.

*The documentations is adequate, just not super fancy. The paper and graphics are basic.

*It's very easy to hookup and get going. Simple.

*The server is heavy, around 30 or so pounds and is around 3ft (guessing) or so long.

*The support from the company has been good.

There are other plus and minuses to the system:

- Isn't exactly as legal as the kaleidescape is

- Isn't as custom made, high end feeling as the kaleidescape

+ Which can be a plus as it should be easier to "modify" the system (hardware)for other uses. Something I assume the Kaleidescape isn't as capable of doing due in part to the proprietary software they use and the custom setups of the hardware( there is a chance I'm wrong).

+ Price is more affordable (to me at least)

+ Performs most of the functions (possibly more) than the K system, albeit not as polished or legal

The X system does what it says it can do and does it well. Playback looked great, music playback is great, entering titles in is relatively easy, the system goes out and downloads info about the movies and cover art. You can capture video with the supplied video capture card, or use the system to stream music to different areas.

I would say the K system is the top of the line Ferrari and the X system is the top of the line Infiniti. Both do the same thing (point A to B), both are good. One is the cream of the crop and rock solid with great support, but is made and aimed for a client base that probably doesn't buy Infiniti's, even well made Infiniti's.

There is an alternative to the K system and I have to say the savings for me were worth it. If you like what the K system does but can't afford the price tag, I would suggest you look at the Xperinet stuff....all this is imho.

Hed

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was looking for more information for this unit; can you please let me know your impression in regards of the following question?

Did you test the picture quality with the zoning?

Another question is how is the UI for the Xperinet?

Thanks

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bandar-

I haven't tested the PQ using the zoning, however, everything I've read and been told is that playback in each zone (you will need the Tauras client in each zone you want to play back DVDs in) is as good as if you were watching the movie straight from a dvd player or an HTPC.

The UI is good, not as good as Kaleidescape, but it is functional. It will display actors, titles, cover art, director info, movie info, etc. It has color backgrounds, big graphic buttons, etc. It's pretty straight forward to use and fairly flexible.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hed

Thanks so much for your review!!

Over the past few days I have been reading everything I can find on both the K and the X.

Based upon your initial review of X, it appears that it does at least as much as K, but isn't as "pretty" as K is. For the many thousands $$$ in cost difference - who cares about pretty (except for maybe QQQ).

Especially with X's recent announcement about offering unlimited expandability of storage space for all of their units this spring. That is major!!

Their most recent software upgrade text indicates that you can create video playlists based upon DVD chapters. I have many live concert DVD performances. Generally their "chapters" are individual songs sung during the live performance. I want a system that I can load each DVD onto a hard drive and create various playlists like I can do with music CDs.

Is this actually possible with X and if so does it make art work, song titles, etc for each chapter available while creating each playlist? An earlier software edition implied that only a number code was given.

Thanks

Ron

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ron-

Yes, you can create video playlist based upon DVD chapters. I know because I asked that very same question. I haven't actually done it yet, so I can't comment on the art work and such, but I'll do one and see what happens (it will probably be in a day or so due to Xmas).

Hed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.