AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a XPS 420 with dual cablecard support pretty soon. I will be using it as a HTPC mainly for Live TV and DVD iso playback. I have the system built pretty much how I want it but the only things I can't make my mind up on are whether to go with Vista Premium or Ultimate and which video card to get: Gefore 8800 GT or the Radeon ATI HD 2600 XT.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I have the XPS 420 with Radeon 2600 XT, Vista Premium, one cable card, Q6600 cpu.

I added a Blu-Ray / HDDVD player and the CPU never goes above 10% when playing HD.

I haven't installed a Cablecard yet, but I do have a Tivo series 3 and I must say I like the feature set of the Tivo a lot more! I think it is well worth the monthly fee.

The XPS 420 is VERY quiet. If you think you might want Ultimate, and cablecard you might want to just go ahead and spend the money now. I doubt an upgrade will be easy, if possible.

I can't help you with the video card, but I have no issues with the 2600.

~Jay

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay M /forum/post/12881594

I have the XPS 420 with Radeon 2600 XT, Vista Premium, one cable card, Q6600 cpu.

I added a Blu-Ray / HDDVD player and the CPU never goes above 10% when playing HD.

I haven't installed a Cablecard yet, but I do have a Tivo series 3 and I must say I like the feature set of the Tivo a lot more! I think it is well worth the monthly fee.

The XPS 420 is VERY quiet. If you think you might want Ultimate, and cablecard you might want to just go ahead and spend the money now. I doubt an upgrade will be easy, if possible.

I can't help you with the video card, but I have no issues with the 2600.

~Jay

Thanks, I'm probably going to go with the 2600 and Premium. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts