AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, could u pls tell me what is the use of the (headphones) jack on the sony cx550

I thought that if I connect the headphones to it, I could have listen for example to the noises that the camcorder makes when I hit the start / recording button via headphones and NOT via speakers.

Does anyone know what is it for ?

Thank you

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi /forum/post/19629304

Hello guys, could u pls tell me what is the use of the (headphones) jack on the sony cx550

I thought that if I connect the headphones to it, I could have listen for example to the noises that the camcorder makes when I hit the start / recording button via headphones and NOT via speakers.

Does anyone know what is it for ?

Thank you

I don't have the headphone jacks in my cam (a CX500V) but I'd think they're strictly for playback of recorded material as opposed to some kind of monitoring of the audio for material being actively recorded. You don't hear audio through the speakers when the camcorder is recording - it would get picked up by the mic along with the "real" sound. So the only use of a headphone would seem to be for playback, as is the case with the speakers.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull /forum/post/19631074

I don't have the headphone jacks in my cam (a CX500V) but I'd think they're strictly for playback of recorded material as opposed to some kind of monitoring of the audio for material being actively recorded. You don't hear audio through the speakers when the camcorder is recording - it would get picked up by the mic along with the "real" sound. So the only use of a headphone would seem to be for playback, as is the case with the speakers.

Thank you.

Too bad...

I think for my panasonic hs350 instead the headphones works in substitution of the speakers when I record.

I have to check , but if I remember correctly I use it that way in the past....

Thnak you again for the feedback.

I wish I could find a xr500 at low price and buy it...lucky u ..

·
Registered
11,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull /forum/post/19631074

Hiya Tom, actually you can hear the audio from the mic while filming through the headphone jack. I used it only once because it seemed VERY loud.

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/19632742

Hiya Tom, actually you can hear the audio from the mic while filming through the headphone jack. I used it only once because it seemed VERY loud.

Thanks for the correction, Dave. That's a more clever design than I expected . Probably it could come in handy if the mike were deployed remotely and you would then be able to monitor the input some. Hopefully the OP will see your message.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys, but it is not possible to hear the beep sounds when hitting the lcd of hitting record or stoping the recording section, correct ?

At least, I d not hear these sounds when using the headphones, they come out from the speakers

tx

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull
Thanks for the correction, Dave. That's a more clever design than I expected . Probably it could come in handy if the mike were deployed remotely and you would then be able to monitor the input some. Hopefully the OP will see your message.
yeah, i only tried it once when I used an external (boom type) mic for a shoot. Was REAL loud through the headphones.

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi /forum/post/19633184

Thank you guys, but it is not possible to hear the beep sounds when hitting the lcd of hitting record or stoping the recording section, correct ?

At least, I d not hear these sounds when using the headphones, they come out from the speakers

tx

Hmmm - not sure. Remember I have the 500 instead of the 550. I don't get a sound entering or leaving recording mode, but I may have made a menu choice to suppress it. There's definitely nothing coming out of the speakers when I hit the button, and nothing in the recordings. I think I left the audible feedback "on" for taking photos (a very soft click like a shutter) but I get no sound hitting the button for video recording.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gull
I wonder if the playback volume control would have worked to decrease it...
Hi, there is an option in the xr550 menu with which u activate or deactivate the beep sounds.

It is different from the playback sound. My playback sound is set to mute, while the beep is set to on and I can hear any beep coming from the camera when hitting buttons on the lcd or starting and stopping a recording session.

For the panasonic hs350, I tried it and I can confirm that when I attach to it the headphones , I can hear the beeps of me touching the lcd through the headphones only, so I guess the sony x550 does not have this feature :-(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts