AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I want to buy the xr550 for 1399 dollars, but I would like to know when they will be shipped out and which is the best store to buy it from (ebay, amazon, sony).

I read on the sony website that the xr550 will be available on or about 03/01/2010.

Do you guys have any exact date for when they will be shipped ?

Also, where you would it buy from to have a good basic warranty ?

thank you

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolisi /forum/post/18176124

Hello guys,

I want to buy the xr550 for 1399 dollars, but I would like to know when they will be shipped out and which is the best store to buy it from (ebay, amazon, sony).

I read on the sony website that the xr550 will be available on or about 03/01/2010.

Do you guys have any exact date for when they will be shipped ?

Also, where you would it buy from to have a good basic warranty ?

thank you

I've seen March 8th quoted in more than one place. I think the release dates for different countries are in fact different. But if the Sony US website says they'll ship it to you on the 1st, that would seem definitive.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Depending on the brand, they get released in other countries first. Normally Japan, China, and other Asian countries. So you'll have a few youtube clips to download before you actually get to buy one.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you.

Do u guys know what the sony Extended Service Plan is ?

Sony says:

Manufacturer's Limited Warranty is included.

2 Year Service Plan with Accidental Damage from Handling$129.99

3 Year Service Plan with Accidental Damage from Handling$169.99

4 Year Service Plan with Accidental Damage from Handling$229.99

2 Year Service Plan$52.99

3 Year Service Plan$99.99

4 Year Service Plan$129.99

No additional coverage

What these additional service plans cover in comparison to the limited warranty ?

thnak you

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Cameras do break, and otherwise get damaged on accident. Scratched lens. Damaged sensor. Dropped and all of the innards get out of alignment. I dropped my FH1 during the first two weeks. On the tripod, and knocked over while pulling out the microphone stand. And of course I knocked over the mic stand trying to save it. Lens cover popped off, paint got scratched, LCD doesn't quite line up right when closed. And for a while the zoom was a bit jumpier than it probably should have been. And in certain conditions the left side of the image is noticeably sharper / in focus than the right side. Might have been traits of the gear before the drop, or not. Some sort of self corrected with use. i.e. zoom is smoother now, LCD is a little more flush when closed.

Not that big of a concern with a $400 cam. But for a $1,400 cam.... Do you plan on using the gear? Do you plan on traveling? Are you outdoors and it might rain? Did your underwater enclosure fail? Lots of potential for unexpecteds out there in the real world. Or are you just too lazy to clean the lens and want a free replacement cam?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, but what the "Manufacturer's Limited Warranty" covers ?

also

do I have to pay the 125 dollars of tax if I buy the camcorder on Amazon ?

It seems that if I buy the camcorder on the sony website or on B&H, I have to pay 125 dollars NY taxes.

Will these taxes need to be payed also on amazon ?

thank you

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
read the fine print.

depends on where you live and where you are ordering from.

If you live in NY, you'll likely need to pay local state taxes. If your mom lives in Jersey, perhaps should could order it for you and bypass that tax. Or just wait six months after release for the price to drop significantly. CA gets hosed a bit on that too. If you're crafty, you might be able to order it from Hong Kong before it gets released here and save a few bucks too. Although you lose a lot of that warranty stuff on gray market items.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts