AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting xvid.dll crashes when trying to play XviD encoded avi's through Media Player Classic (or ZP) with ffdshow. I've tried it in both of my machines and they both do it.

The only way I can get the movie to play is to select the libavcodec in ffdshow for Xvid. If I select Xvid for Xvid, I will start getting the crashes as soon as I double-click and the movie tries to load. I've also tried numerous versions of Xvid versions.

Anyone seeing the same? Or have tips on where to start to resolve this issue?

Thanks. ;)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I just tested Xvid 1.0 beta3 with FFDShow Nov 28 2003. It works without any problem here.

I normally use libavcodec with Skal's IDCT.

Why do you want to use Xvid to decode?

Owen,

The FFDShow resize sharpen dude

·
Registered
263 Posts
I did some frame by frame decoder tests beetwen the xvid decoder and libavcodec. Both work but libavcodec produce some artefacts or sharpens some badly encoded stuff in the picture. The picture look's more ringing with libavcodec compared to the xvid decoder. This mainly happens just with badly encoded or bitrates around 700-900kb/s.

I mainly use nic's xvid decoder or beta3 decoder for the much better deblock postprocessor compared to the ffdshow included one.

Main problem is that nic's deblock filters are working nice without loosing any details at all, while mplayer deblock smooths away details (look at faces). On the other hand nic's dering filters are crap since they are to agressive and u loose many details.

Oki so what u set if u want deblock and dering in ffdshow without smoohing the movie or loose details? U simply cant since even in costum mode u have to select the linked checkboxes for mplayer dering and nics deblock so both filters apply and and u get the crappyst postprocessor ever and a washed out image since first nics dering and than mplayer deblock crash the image.

So i figured out to use xvid deblock in the decoder itsself and just select mplayer dering in ffdshow at 100-150 strenghts to not loose details :)

Same happens for divx movies. I use the org. decoder or 3ivx since i can add deblock postprocessor and just use the good mplayer dering and avoid the other in ffdshow included one.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hunted down Nic's 07-2003 release and all is ok now. Thanks. =)

One question, how do you go about enabling deblock postprocessing in the Xvid decoder? Is it automatic, or do you have to set something? Can't seem to find any adjustable options anywhere. :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.