AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll do this bulleted since i have so many problems:

1)this is really annoying. whenever i open a folder with one of my videos in it, an error pops up, cites xvid.ax as the problem, and under further details says something about appcompat.txt. it then closes the whole window and opens everything all over again. it's soooo annoying. also, sometimes after i click close (before it closes the window and takes forever to show the screen) it shows a runtime error. so basically the error comes up, i hit ok, and then it clears the screen and that window.

2)sometimes, it seems after i leave the computer on for a while (bc its fine after a restart and it works for a while after that) the videos are black and it seems like the moving objects (or maybe objects that contrast a lot) have reddish outlines. maybe its something that is triggering it, i don't know

3)this isn't a htpc but i watch a lot of videos on it (i couldn't find a forum for this problem, sorry if this isn't the right one).

4).ive use tons of codecs and nothing makes a diff, running k lite standard codec pack right now.

what should i do? is there anything that will delete all my codecs so i can do a clean install, or is that not even the problem?

thanks sooo much!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sounds to me like your videocard is not working well. See if you can borrow someone elses card, and if it makes a difference, or perhaps a newer set of drivers for it...

Cheers,

Alex

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Power supply?

Even though I though I had a real good Antec SMPS, in the end, it turned out to be junk.

Deron.

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would suggest you try to uninstall all of your codecs, especially the xvid codec.

Then install ffdshow for video decoding and ac3filter for audio. ffdshow can decode almost everything.

If you are viewing any thumbnails of the video in windows explorer then that might be the problem, just switch to detailed or list view.

As for the problem with the colors. Is your card an nvidia?

Edit: If you don't want to uninstall everything then uninstall your xvid codec and try the one from doom9's website. it has not given me any problems.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i have an nvidia 6800gt OC.

how exactly can i uninstall just xvid from klite? or should i just uninstall klite all together? i mean, i cant even find all my codecs to uninstall them one by one.

also, i had the dark color/weird problem color when all i had installed was FFdshow, but i didn't have the runtime or xvid errors.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have never used klite, but you may want to try Add or Remove Programs for the xvid codec.

After i updated to the 93.71 nvidia driver i was getting a really dark and reddish picture. This was caused by the new nvidia control panel. You have to restore the color settings to default and make sure "Apply this to all technologies" is checked. Move around in the control panel and make sure the settings stick. This new control panel has a problem remembering your settings.

If that does not work then go to the classic control panel and apply the default color settings.

Doing the above solved my color problems, but I don't know if it will solve yours.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdheda /forum/post/0

I have never used klite, but you may want to try Add or Remove Programs for the xvid codec.

After i updated to the 93.71 nvidia driver i was getting a really dark and reddish picture. This was caused by the new nvidia control panel. You have to restore the color settings to default and make sure "Apply this to all technologies" is checked. Move around in the control panel and make sure the settings stick. This new control panel has a problem remembering your settings.

If that does not work then go to the classic control panel and apply the default color settings.

Doing the above solved my color problems, but I don't know if it will solve yours.

Where exactly is that in the old control panel? there are quite a few settings for just color.

thanks a lot!

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
programs, k-lite codec pack, tools, codec tweak tool.

I've been playing with it for the last week or so on my most recent pc build. It's the first time I've tried it and so far I'm not at all impressed with the k-lite codec pack vs manually installing the latest and best yourself. For me it has caused nothing but headaches, but they were all easy enough to undo.

Your problem isn't codecs specifically, it's explorer integration. Somewhere along the line (not by k-lite) you were installing xvid or divx or nero or who knows what and you let it install explorer integration, later needed files or explorer associations were lost when you installed some other program or k-lite or service pack or who knows what.

Explorer integration is the "feature" that lets you highlight a file and see it's properties like video and audio formats, run time, resolution... If you have thumbnail view on it can even show the first frame of video. It does this by actually opening the files even though you didn't ask it too.

I'm not just talking file association. There are lots of links on how to disable it in the registy that you used to be able to find related to people being unable to delete partial or corrupt divx files, but I can't seem to find them in a quick search. Search on "can't delete divx" And hopefully you'll be more patient a searcher than me.

Or maybe you'll recall mention of explorer integration in something you installed... It's usually an option you can de-select.

Troy

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Right click desktop, choose properties, settings, make sure color depth is set to highest. Maybe you forgot to set that after a driver upgrade.

Troy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.