AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will let everyone know if/when they reply.

============

01 December 2002

Hitachi America Ltd., Home Electronics Division

P.O. Box 3900

Peoria, IL 61612

Dear Sir or Madam,

Recently I purchased a Hitachi XWX6520b. While I seriously evaluated other products, Hitachi’s ratings and reputation ultimately led me to choose your product. Within your own lineup I made the decision to go with Hitachi’s flagship “Directors Series†primarily because I felt that an integrated HDTV tuner would simplify use of the set compared to utilizing a separate Set Top Box from another manufacturer. The only purchase criteria provided by my wife was that she did not want to have to push a bunch of buttons each time she or the children used the TV.

While I have been generally pleased with my purchase, it is the rather expensive HDTV tuner feature that I have found to be most disappointing. So much so that I felt compelled to write this letter.

From a hardware perspective, the HDTV tuner appears to be well designed in that it can lock channels that some other tuners may have difficulty with. From a software perspective, the integration and feature set is inexcusably poor. Specifically:

1) HDTV channel lineups are completely isolated. Unlike units from your competitors, there is no ability to create a single channel line-up combining inputs from multiple antenna sources. This means that you can not seamlessly channel-surf up and down without changing antenna inputs. You can not create a “favorites list†with both HDTV and standard channels. Manually changing antenna inputs between modes is hardly user-friendly and is completely unacceptable for an “integrated†tuner.

2) There is no way to manually add individual HDTV channels to the HDTV channel list. I consider this to be the greatest oversight in the integration. Unless all of your channels are coming from a single tower, you must do a complete system scan each time the antenna is pointed in a new direction. In my case I receive an equal number of channels from the north and from the south with a smaller number from the west. Each time the antenna rotates I must do a full five-minute system scan which erases all previous entries. Due to my geographic location an omni-directional antenna is not an option. Likewise, as far as I can tell, you can not even manually tune to a channel that has not been scanned.

3) The discreet IR codes do not work when switched to Antenna “Câ€. This is a lesser issue as it can be programmed around via an intelligent remote. Still, it highlights the shortcomings of the HDTV integration.

I can only hope that Hitachi will see fit to provide a Channel Manager software upgrade to customers of your premier television offering. With the possible exception of item #3, it seems like these issues could be easily addressed. I would envision that such upgrades could be distributed via the much touted MMC slot or even via your website for download to an MMC card. Are there any plans to upgrade this functionality?

At this point I continue to recommend Hitachi to others with one caveat. I am encouraging people to go with the SWX/TWX and an external tuner. Should Hitachi address the HDTV software integration issue I will then heartily endorse the XWX as the best of breed. Please note that I am not the only XWX owner expressing these concerns. Leading A/V sites like avsforum.com also contain numerous owners’ comments similar to my own.

Thank you for your consideration.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Yeah, what is it with this design choice? Sounds very similar to the way the new Samsung HD DirecTV box deals with OTA.

Quote:
Originally posted by amphicar770
2) There is no way to manually add individual HDTV channels to the HDTV channel list. I consider this to be the greatest oversight in the integration. Unless all of your channels are coming from a single tower, you must do a complete system scan each time the antenna is pointed in a new direction. In my case I receive an equal number of channels from the north and from the south with a smaller number from the west. Each time the antenna rotates I must do a full five-minute system scan which erases all previous entries. Due to my geographic location an omni-directional antenna is not an option. Likewise, as far as I can tell, you can not even manually tune to a channel that has not been scanned.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Very dissapointing. At first glance the XWX is the perfect RPTV.

Definitely not a showstopper as this is a great set...just dissapointing it is not the model of perfection it could have been.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, as noted elsewhere, Hitachi support actually called my this evening.

Based on an earlier phone call with them they took the issue to engineering. Today they informed me that they will make a software upgrade available in approximately 60 days to address the issue.

Kudos to Hitachi. Although I have ten days left to return it, looks like my XWX will be a keeper.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
 Here is the link

Here is a quote:
Quote:

After two years of studying different models and manufacturers of HDTVs I bought a 65SWX20B 4 weeks ago. I broke it in gently giving it plenty of hours of "on" time using mostly 4:3 expanded mode for cable, some DVD viewing and some HDTV via a STB. A friend of mine who has a 2-yr old 61SWX01W noticed, as did I, that my picture was much 'softer' than his, and frankly looked like it wasn't focused. HDTV looked only a little better than DVDs, which looked only a little better than cable. Not at all the "highly detailed" picture Hitachi is allegedly famous for.

I called Hitachi service last week and BOY did I get a response. This past Tuesday they sent out not only the warranty local service rep, but also a Hitachi factory technician, two more Japanese engineers from the Hitachi plant and three assembly line technicians. One of the Japanese engineers was the "Group Product Leader" for the RPTV line. I had SEVEN people in my living room who wanted to see what was wrong with my TV! (I live in San Diego, CA, about 30 miles north of the factory)

I felt the response was a bit overwhelming for my issue but nonetheless I proceeded to tell them I felt my set was not displaying a picture that was acceptable for a $3500.00 HDTV. I had tried all sorts of brightness, contrast & sharpness settings yet I could not get it as sharp or detailed as a two-year old Hitachi.

They took off the speaker cover and one of the technicians brought up a service menu using his specially modified remote control. They displayed a grid and adjusted the focus rings on each PRT separately, first green, then red then blue. In the process we discovered the green gun was indeed a bit out of focus. However when they were done I could clearly see that the white convergence grid was in focus at the center but out of focus at the edges. Not just the very edge, but rather starting 18" in from the left and right. The grid at the center of the screen was tight, straight white lines but as the lines went out towards the edge they get wider and wider and were obviously out of focus.

We put a 16x9 HDTV picture on the screen and the Group Leader asked me very politely if it was acceptable. I could still see the focus problem and told him it was less than I expected. The technicians said, "It's at factory spec" to which the Group Leader replied, "We are NOT at the factory, we are in the customer's home....we need to make the customer happy." This impresed me.

They then proceeded to take off the back of the set and one of the techs crawled in and tried grabbing the PRT lenses and refocusing them, with only moderate success. When they were done the set was better, but still has an obvious problem with focus at the sides and edges.

(This post is getting long so I'll be brief with the rest of my experience)

The Group Leader told me that the set can only be focused at the center of the picture, and that the factory spec is that the edges can be out of focus. He said that when pictures are displayed you don't really notice it.....but I do! It's easy to see especially when reading text. He explained that it's a limitation of the optics and lenses, that they can only focus the picture at the center and I may be happier with a 57" set because since it's smaller and uses the same lenses and has a sharper picture. As they left the Group Leader gave me his business card and told me to call him if I needed more help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great New.

I will keep my 65XWX20B.

How will Hitachi get in contact with owners. Do I need to send in my warranty card. I haven't yet because I hasn't sure if I was going to keep the RPTV.

I'm gald, because other than the tuner integration issues and slight red push on HDTV, I LOVE this set.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Calvin,

Check your PM, I sent you a message.

I am under the impression that all registered owners will receive the update via an MMC card when it becomes available.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Your letter is too long. Edit it down so they get the point! Here, I've done it for you....

Dear Sir or Madam,

Recently I purchased a Hitachi XWX6520b. While I have been generally pleased with my purchase, it is the rather expensive HDTV tuner feature that I have found to be most disappointing.

From a software perspective, the integration and feature set is inexcusably poor. Specifically:

1) HDTV channel lineups are completely isolated. There is no ability to create a single channel line-up combining inputs from multiple antenna sources.

2) There is no way to manually add individual HDTV channels to the HDTV channel list. Likewise, you can not even manually tune to a channel that has not been scanned.

3) The discreet IR codes do not work when switched to Antenna “Câ€.

I can only hope that Hitachi will see fit to provide a Channel Manager software upgrade to customers of your premier television offering. Are there any plans to upgrade this functionality?

I am encouraging people to go with the SWX/TWX and an external tuner. I am not the only XWX owner expressing these concerns. Leading A/V sites like avsforum.com also contain numerous owners’ comments similar to my own.

Your name here... :)

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SpartanCal

How will Hitachi get in contact with owners. Do I need to send in my warranty card. I haven't yet because I hasn't sure if I was going to keep the RPTV.
Probably you can either learn about it yourself and call them, or they will call you if you have provided them your info via registration.

You can register online at Hitachi's website too...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.