AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a call from Tim at Hitachi Cust Support. Apparently they do listen to their customers concerns.

I had previously contacted Hitachi regarding the fact that you can not manually add channels to the HDTV lineup. You must do a full system scan which thus prevents use of a rotator.

Anyway, Cust Service took the issue to engineering. They have assured me that a software upgrade is to be made available to address this. Estimated date of release is 60 days.

I have to say that I was impressed that they took the time to call me with this information. While the XWX may not be the perfect set it looks like it is on the way to becoming just that.

·
Registered
305 Posts
With the news of the upcoming OTA HD tuner upgrade, I'm going to return my 51SWX20B for a 57XWX20B. Has anyone used either the JVC or one of the Mits D-VHS recorders with a XWX20B??? Does the HD tuner's event timer (8 programs?) work ok for unattened timer recording??? I've read about the problems that members are having with the current JVC D-VHS recorder and the Samsung SIR-T165 HD tuner in the HDTV Hardware forum. I'm thinking about getting a Mits HS-HD1100U ($499). Any opinions on this??? Dick

·
Registered
972 Posts
Excellent! Thanks for the effort you put into this, Amphicar770. This may help me in the near future and I'm sure it will help others. I like Hitachi more and more every day; most companies I have contacted don't even bother to reply to things like this.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DICK CONWAY
With the news of the upcoming OTA HD tuner upgrade, I'm going to return my 51SWX20B for a 57XWX20B. Has anyone used either the JVC or one of the Mits D-VHS recorders with a XWX20B??? Does the HD tuner's event timer (8 programs?) work ok for unattened timer recording??? I've read about the problems that members are having with the current JVC D-VHS recorder and the Samsung SIR-T165 HD tuner in the HDTV Hardware forum. I'm thinking about getting a Mits HS-HD1100U ($499). Any opinions on this??? Dick
The JVC HMDH30000U is great.

It playes the D-theater tapes too...

Get D-theater.... so you can play back pre-recorded tapes in 1080i

I have hooked up a JVC 30000U to an XWX and the tv reckognized via 1394 cable the D-VCR without any troubles at all.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Then the only problem will be the lack of a discrete Ir code for the HD input which they stupidly made possibly unfixable via software upgrade.

·
Registered
972 Posts
what is a discrete IR code that has been referred to? I'm guessing this has something to do with using a programmable remote (like a pronto)?

Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yes RichUF, a discrete IR code allows a programmable remote to use macros efficiently t coordinate all the various components of a HT system.

I use a HTM MX-700.

The Hitachi XWX has its HD OTA input through a coaxial input that rotates selection with the other two non HD OTA antennae inputs. It makes it difficult to program a remote to work precisely the way I want it when selecting OTA HD TV channels and thus reduces my WAF down a considerable degree.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Without discrete IR input commands, many TV' can still be automated if a known base input can be established.

If the Hitachi's "ChUp" and/or "ChDn" buttons select the tuner, than a HD OTA macro can be written as follows:

1) ChUp (to select the tuner as a known base input

2) TV/Video (applied the # of times needed to reach HD OTA input).

I don't have any experience with the Hitachi but if if the ChUp button will select the tuner when watching another source, you should be successful. This technique is covered in the HTM programming manual and on remotecentral.com threads. Unfortunately, it does not work on my Sammy 507 as Samsung engineers did not allow the ChUp/ChDn button to function unless already watching the tuner.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I needed to get ant C programmed into a device macro button on my MX-500 (for my Mits HD D-VHS recorder). To get ant C, I programmed the following steps using the set's (57XWX20B) remote: menu > down 2 clicks (to Ch. Manager) > enter > down 3 clicks (to ant C DTV) > enter > exit. It's not pretty, but it works for me. I'm sure there's a better way. Dick

·
Registered
359 Posts
I would be amazed if a discrete ir code code be a programmable item fixed by an upgrade. I am still using a Samsung 151 but would happily sell it immediatly if the manual add of channels can be fixed.

On a side note, one way to work around the discrete ir issue would be to have a favorite channels list which would include all inputs. I believe this would not be impossible with a softare upgrade and would make my WAF increase ten fold. While she hasn't called me at work lately to find out how to watch some channel, she has expressed her dissatisfaction on numerouse occasions with the complicated nature of the set up and the waste of money for the Samsung STB.

The XWX's tuner is superior to the Samsung 151 in locking channels and its numeric signal strength meter is more desirable than the Samsung's analog display. I do wish it (the XWX's) would stay on the screen longer so I could rotate the antennae but that is a minor issue.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi All,

Tim from Hitachi just called again this afternoon (08 Jan). He informed me that the update to enable manual addition of channels should be available next week. He said they will call when it is ready and will ship it at the same time.

Have to give them an A+ for customer service. Hey, maybe next they could offer an update with "showroom mode" and "home mode" to automatically adjust for red push. :)

Do note that the XWX does have an MMC slot to enable receipt of software updgrades. I am not sure about the other models.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Any word on this yet?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I hate message bumping but it is now the week after next from the post that said next week and I have yet to hear anymore about the update.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by amphicar770
Do note that the XWX does have an MMC slot to enable receipt of software updgrades. I am not sure about the other models.
So this is how they will upgrade it? I was reading this whole post and was wondering how they would download a patch to a TV (not quite as easy as a satellite receiver or TiVo)..

·
Registered
359 Posts
On three weeks after it was said "next week". Any word?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.