AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question from a cheapskate: Is it feasible to use plain old RCA y-cables instead of an expensive video switch? I use a Y cable now to get two digital inputs into my sound system. One input is from Time Warner box, the other from a DVD player. As long as only one source is powered on at a time, everything works fine. I can switch between the two by using the remote control power on/power off. When both of them are turned on and delivering signals, then the receiver gets confused. But other than that it works fine for me. I've thought about the same for component video but am worried about the risk of harming my TV. This would use a Y cable for each pair of inputs. Again, only one source can be powered on at a time for this to work. I'm wondering if there any risk in harming the monitor with this (if I accidentally have two video sources powered on).

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's my understanding that this is potentially very harmful to your components.

Although turned off, the audio signal of one component is being fed to the output of another (the one turned off).

I'm not sure, there are others more knowledgeable than me on this, but I think you're tempting frying something.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Look up the thread on DVI splitter cable where same question was asked. Conclusion was as Tivo-Al points out.

jack

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hate to rock the boat, but have had this y-connection setup for component inputs for at least six months with no problems. Picture was also fine.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Adding a 'Y' will create reflections (ringing) in the signal. No idea if they would be severe enough to be visible - it depends on the length of the cables and distance from the sources to the 'Y'.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Using Y-cables could cause the signals to be double terminated, causing the video levels to be 1/2 their correct value. If the signals aren't double terminated, the unterminated line will cause reflections in the signal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.