Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I took the plunge and bought 42" SD Panny. It has only 1 set of component inputs. I have a progressive scan DVD AND an OTA HDTV tuner. No component-switching receiver. Can I plug both units into the Panny using RadioShack Y-adapters? I will be using only 1 source at a time and making sure the other source is turned off. I just want to make sure that I won't be damaging anything...

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,501 Posts
Hi

No- you cannot use a Y adapter on component video signals: the picture will appear dark

you need a component video switcher- there are lots of types/price ranges- some can be remote controlled- some switch audio too

Mark:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it possible to convert one of these component inputs to a VGA plug therefore using the D-sub 15 connector? Would that even work for either the DVD or the HD Tuner? Thanks.

Willy

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
There are component to VGA transcoders, but they cost about the same price as a good 4:1 component video switcher.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
DonBerg is right on the money...

An Audio Authority 9A62 (component to RGB converter) will cost you $189.00 and will give you 1 more input (VGA).

An Inday RGB4X-R will cost you $187 and will switch 4x1 with a remote and give you 3 more inputs (component).

If you ever plan to expand beyond your 2 sources (HTPC, new technology, etc) the Inday (or other brand) switch will save you money in the long run...

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by johnvan8
Hi all,

I took the plunge and bought 42" SD Panny. It has only 1 set of component inputs. I have a progressive scan DVD AND an OTA HDTV tuner. No component-switching receiver. Can I plug both units into the Panny using RadioShack Y-adapters? I will be using only 1 source at a time and making sure the other source is turned off. I just want to make sure that I won't be damaging anything...

Thanks.
You could try one of those manual switch box thingies using the

3 rca connectors as y/pb/pr instead composite/left/right. Many

folks will tell you you'll lose PQ but everyone I've heard who's

tried it sees little to no difference. Plus, it's only $25 and if you

buy from a store with good return policy, it won't cost you a

thing if you don't like it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You're making it harder than it needs to be.

Use the VGA for the STB and the component for the DVD. No need for a swicth of any kind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.