AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm... I was thinking tonight that component up-conversion (from composite and s-video) is good and all, but it kills the ability to PiP or PoP two signals. It's pretty cool to be able to look an actor up on the computer while you watch the movie in another screen or watch a movie in a sub-screen while you play PlayStation on the main screen. But then I thought you could get the best of both worlds by splitting the individual outputs and running one into the TV and one into the AVR. The TV stays on the input from the AVR and all audio/video switching is done via the AVR--the convenience of up-conversion! But if you wanted to PiP a signal, you could! Of course, you lose the advantage of having a single cable to connect between the AVR and your TV, but if they're close, as mine are, it might not matter.

So I wonder: 1) would it hurt to use a regular old RCA-jack Y-splitter on component cables? Composite? 2) Can you even get an S-video splitter? I googled, but I didn't find anything... but maybe I'm searching for the wrong thing.

While I'm on the subject, is there any difference between a composite RCA cable and a component one? The look the same; what about impedance? What about audio RCA cables? I've got a ton of those lying about and it'd be good to be able to use 'em.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.