AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone summarize the difference (+ and -) of yagi antennas (such as CM 4248) vs. bowtie antennas (such as CM 4228)?

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Large yagi is more direction in the horizontal plane while the stacked bowtie antennas have a broader horizontal pattern but have a more directional vertical pattern. The result is the yagi must be more precisely aimed to get a optimal signal than the stacked bowtie antenna. If you have a multipath reflection coming off of a ground structure then the yagi may allow you to better reduce the effect of the multipath. However a stacked bowtie may do a little better with multipath from airplanes. I have tried both types in my location in Northern Virginia and ended up using an 8 bowtie Wingard antenna.

Ron Jones

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do the backside gains compare? I'm situated between two cities. It would be a plus if I could pick up stations toward the rear-side of the antenna without using a rotator.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
A really top quality designed will give you..not much pick up on the backside. For digital much better to meet the signal directly with a highly directional antenna with a high gain across the UHF spectrum. Quite important, in most situations, to have a rotator so you can 'zero' in on the signal. These have been my conclusions anyway. A pre-amp may or may not be useful..each situation varies.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by magic123
A really top quality designed will give you..not much pick up on the backside. For digital much better to meet the signal directly with a highly directional antenna with a high gain across the UHF spectrum. Quite important, in most situations, to have a rotator so you can 'zero' in on the signal. These have been my conclusions anyway. A pre-amp may or may not be useful..each situation varies.
So which type of antenna gives you better "high gain across the UHF spectrum"?

·
Super Moderator
18,437 Posts
Palladia

Well, there are tradeoffs with any antenna made to receive signals across a wide spectrum. You'll probably find that either type will do better at lower and middle frequencies than higher ones. But, given your between-cities arrangement, I'd look into using two yagis -- one pointed in either direction. You can combine the signals, but that might introduce a ghosting problem. Best to go with a two lines and a switch near your receiver.

Although, if you're going to go through all of that, might as well go with the rotor. If you do the two-antenna thing, keep receipts. That way if it DOESN'T work, you can return one of them.

Good luck

Doc

·
Super Moderator
18,437 Posts
Pat..

Excellent info. Good you kept that link.

Doc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.