AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sega announces a release date of September 9th for Yakuza 2.

I know its PS2, and I know that AVS forum is very forward thinking, but I am not lying when I say that Yakuza 1 was one of PS2's best games. It had:

1. An extremely detailed and realistic rendering of Tokyo's Kabukicho district. There is tons of do, with side stories, mini-games and events. Graphics were also extremely good, but its the PS2 keep in mind.

2. An in-depth fighting game engine.

3. GREAT characters and story written by professional Japanese writer Hase Seishu.

4. A realistic and in-depth look at the Yakuza in Japan.

In play, the game is probably most like Shenmue - there's a story, but plenty to do, see, and buy within a closed setting, including getting into fights with random thugs and weirdos. Not only could you kick and punch, but throw bicycles, garbage cans, and cones at them or hit them with lead pipes and the like.

The game had 2 problems:

1. Middling translation and voice work, comical amounts of swearing.

2. Poor load times.

So, Yakuza 2 resolves both of these issues: it uses the original Japanese language track with subtitles, and it fixes the load times.

If you have a PS2 or PS3 with BC, definitely check this game out. I'll be getting it on day one. We are gonna be getting Yakuza 3 eventually, too, and hopefully strong sales of this one will speed that up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just don't get why so many games are being developed for old tech like the PS2. Why isn't that time invested in the PS3?

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
*facepalm*

Yakuza 2 came out in 2006 in Japan. It's an older game. It is finally coming here.

Second of all, there IS a PS3 Yakuza game.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Install base of 130 million units, maybe?

I know everyone here wants Sony to push PS3 over everything, but they are only 8 years into the 10 year cycle of the PS2. I don't think you should expect them to ****can it anytime soon.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I'd guess it has to do with the steeper learning curve of the PS3- they make Yakuza 2 while learning the tech for Yakuza 3 on the side?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts