AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My installers are coming tomorrow to install my new system (part new, part exitsing components) in my house.

They just called and said they dont have the Yammy, want to switch it out for the Pioneer Elite.
I am against it (since I have had a Yammy, and havent tested the Pioneer with my speaker set up) but am looking for any input anyone has on these units.

Yamaha RXV-765b vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-21THX

To be paied with:

PSB Image 4T towers

Totem Tribe Center

Totem TA in Wall rears

Totem Storm Sub

Bose 251 (outdoor, zone 2 speakers)

Panny TCP42S1 TV

PS3

IPOD

Hamony 890 Remote

Any input/compatabilty comments are greatly appreciated...

Many thanks,

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnottj /forum/post/16998444

My installers are coming tomorrow to install my new system (part new, part exitsing components) in my house.

They just called and said they dont have the Yammy, want to switch it out for the Pioneer Elite.
I am against it (since I have had a Yammy, and havent tested the Pioneer with my speaker set up) but am looking for any input anyone has on these units.

Yamaha RXV-765b vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-21THX

To be paied with:

PSB Image 4T towers

Totem Tribe Center

Totem TA in Wall rears

Totem Storm Sub

Bose 251 (outdoor, zone 2 speakers)

Panny TCP42S1 TV

PS3

IPOD

Hamony 890 Remote

Any input/compatabilty comments are greatly appreciated...

Many thanks,

My choice would be the Pioneer Elite over any of Yamaha's spring offerings. I realize neither of these have been officially bench tested, but I would think the Elite would come closer to meeting its specs than the new Yammies. This coming from a Yamaha fan. There was a test on the Yamaha 665 versus last years models over at Audioholics and the perception I got was not so positive. The 765 may be different but I doubt it. You do realize that for the prices of either of these you are getting close to the price range of the Elite SC-05 or the Elite 03.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would like to see if there is anyone else with thoughts on this issue, I am looking at at similar purchase and there is about $100 difference in price, depending on where you look.

I know the Pioneer has more power, but I've had Yamaha for a long time, and have been satisfied, so if there is anyone else that has some thoughts one way or another, I would appreciate the feedback between the two models.

thanks....

·
Registered
379 Posts
I used to have Yamaha 2-channel receivers and auditioned their entire new line against the Pioneer Elite for almost 2-weeks just last month. I kept going back to this specialty stereo store...not BB because things were set up in a much better environment.

Now, I know that everyone's ears and brain work differently and that means what I hear and like, might not be what someone else hears and likes. So, it is really difficult in my opinion to say for a fact which is better.

If we are talking about repairs, which one lasts longer, which one gets hotter, which one has the better power supply, etc, that is different.

But, after all of my listening...about 20-hours to be exact of driving myself nuts, there is no doubt in my mind that the Pioneer Elite VSX-23THX that I purchased sounded much more alive and clear than the Yamaha. The Yamaha sounded flat to me and lacked depth. I also liked that the Pioneer is already able to accept my music I-Pod, so I did not have to spend extra on a dock. I also liked the 2-year warranty.

From everything I have read, Yamaha IS NOT the same animal is it was in the 90's and early 2000's. I would not hesitate at all in getting the Pioneer VSX-21 over any Yamaha in the same price and power range.

Just my opinion.

Dave

·
Registered
74 Posts
I currently have a Yamaha from early 2000. I am currently deciding between Onkyo and Pioneer. Leaning towards Pioneer. However one feature that the Pioneer DOES NOT have that I use ALL the time on my current receiver is the attenuate feature during mute. Most people probably won't care, but just mentioning it.

I think I'm still going to go with the Pioneer though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Dave, I've been reading through various threads and noted your posts. I know you were looking around and trying to see what was best and it looks like you finally made up your mind..

The Yamaha's are designed to be flat sounding to some degree to provide what Yamaha calls natural sound. And your right everyone is different, what sounds good to me, may not to you.

I am leaning Pioneer after a number of years with a couple Yamaha receivers myself, however I am still in debate mode, much like you were for a while. Glad you had a store where these receivers were actually in environment where you could effectively compare, that's becoming harder to find these days, BB's setups are not that great or don't seem to work, and other places that had some listening rooms are either gone, or not maintained very well, so things don't work.

I hope that someone else that was debating or has these receivers or compared them when looking can also provide some more feedback. thanks...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts