AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new receiver narrowed it down to these 2. Has anyone compared these 2. I have seen the 1065 heavily discounted. I have heard a friends 667 and it sounds awesome but it cost more. Is there any sound differences between these 2.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
RX-V1065 is discounted because it's a 2009 model. Yamaha has a compare tool on their website which sort of works to compare features.

I know of no reason to suspect that they would sound different.

The 1065 may have more power. But their weights are pretty similar. Yamaha seemed to have skimped on power supplies back in 2009 as a cost cutting thing. So while the 1065 cost a lot more MSRP than the 667. the 667 may actually be able to hang with the 1065 - compare weight and power consumption, really the only thing you can do with not bench tests as a guide.

If you want the ability to pass 3D, you may want the 667.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvin /forum/post/19587792

Do these 2 models use the same DACS. Any other opinions will be much appreciated.

I doubt very seriously that you could tell the difference between the DAC's. That 667 is also on sale at a lot of places now. Still higher than the 1065 though. There is very good buys on the 667 at Yamaha's website for refurbs or open box.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You can get the 667 for about the same price as the 1065 now (just a tiny bit more). 667 adds 3D support, and better HDMI upconversion/integration. 1065 has HD Radio, no 3D support, and for non-analog signals only does HDMI switching.

Look at the images on the Yamaha site on the backs of the receivers, both the 667 and 1065 have 400W of power consumption (along with the 867 and A800 I believe). It doesn't go up until you step up to the A1000.

On last year's 665 I think it was 245W or so, so the 667 is definitely a big step up. Weight is also close between the 667 and 1065. It really comes down to whether better HDMI and possible 3D functionality for the future is more important than HD Radio and USB on the 1065.

DACs are both listed as Burr Brown. I'm not sure on the exact model. Supposedly you don't get the higher end DACs until you go to the A-2000 or so, but I might be wrong.

Unfortunately you don't get network connectivity until you step up to the 867. PM me if you want pricing info on the 667.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just checked again, looks like the 665 was 270W, while the 765 and 1065 (keep in mind there was no 8-Series) were 400W, so it appears that the amp section of the 1065 and 667 are similar.

The 1065 had a much higher initial MSRP, but I can't see how it was competitive vs. the competition at that price. Feature wise, the 667 and 1065 are similar. 667 is also 400W, and it looks like you have to step up to the A1000 to get anything better.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I think that's all very fair thinking, and that the x65 line was, perhaps, not a very good value.

Conventional wisdom would say the 765 is a good deal due to the discounts, but if the x65 line was not a very good deal, the RX-V667 may be a smarter purchase.

I guess you have to walk through the logic on your own, and compare features and such.

·
Registered
444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19588989

I think that's all very fair thinking, and that the x65 line was, perhaps, not a very good value.

Conventional wisdom would say the 765 is a good deal due to the discounts, but if the x65 line was not a very good deal, the RX-V667 may be a smarter purchase.

I guess you have to walk through the logic on your own, and compare features and such.

I'm personally having a difficult time deciding. If the 1065 and 667 are likely to have the same power supply, amps and DACs, I can't see sound quality being much different. So it comes down to features, USB and HD Radio on teh 1065, better HDMI Upconversion, newer software (haven't checked out the UI on either, but i'll assume the 667 is updated), and overall a newer model for similar pricing.

The 867 looks nice with network streaming, but the price jump is too steep, especially considering the amps aren't beefed up from the 667, I could add Roku, Network Blu-Ray player or something similar to get the online content.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
For what my opinion is worth, get the 667. That's what I would do given that choice.

·
Registered
444 Posts
That's the way i'm leaning. Yamaha had to up their game this year after the mess they released last year. They'll be less likely to cut corners as i'm sure they'd like to take back some market share.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts