AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I mate this new receiver as a pre pro with one of Yamahas Legendary M-80 amps. How do you go about doing that. if I wanted to drive all 7 channels how would i do that?

Right now I would want to run 5 channels min. I could use the 1400 internal for the rear however. Any advice

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm using the 1400 as a pre/pro only, mated with a five channel and two channel Rotel amp. Basically all you do is connect the speakers to the amps, run rca cables from the pre-outs on the back of the receiver and then balance all the channels with either the automatic menu or manually with a spl meter.

-Vic

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey mariachi, whadya think about the voltage on the preouts. The specs say 1v for the speaker preouts and 2v for the sub out, but I find that they're a little weak. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
246 Posts
erikb333,

I'm not having any problems with the voltage out as far as volume goes. I usually listen between -20 to -25 for decent loudness, anything under -20 and the neighbors might start complaining.

-Vic

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
quote:

I'm not having any problems with the voltage out as far as volume goes. I usually listen between -20 to -25 for decent loudness, anything under -20 and the neighbors might start complaining.

Wow Mariachi, My wife would love you!...I listened to "the core" , "view from the top" and "anger managenment" This weekend at -5.5...Once I had to lower the core to -7 as the bass pressure in the room about broke my eardrums...

Thats one thing Im REALLY happy about with the Yammie/combined with exteranl amp...Its not the least bit fatiguing or bright...

PS. Im running three different amps from the rx-v2400 (parasound,sherwood and crown) and have no voltage problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
333 Posts
What SPL are you getting from your test tones at 0 db with the levels flat? I'll give you an example of mine. I've got a pair of highly effiecient 6-ohm Axioms at around 10 feet from the measurement position. With a flat level at 0 db I get 74 db. After YPAO, it raised the level to +5.5 db and resulted in an SPL of 81 db. Does this sound consistent with everyone else's results? This speaker is connected to the internal amp. My fronts are connedted to an Adcom 200 wpc and YPAO set it at +7.5 db with a resulting SPL of 84 db. Just would like some comparisons on this.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have fairly ineffeceint nht t5's/m5 up front. After auto-eq (it sets the front at around minus 2.5 in auto eq)...I checked the sound level afterwards at 0 volume and its was around 75db on my radio shack meter...So thats means if I turned up the nhts to zero instead of -2.5 I would be around 77.5 db at zero on the Yammie volume control,take it a step further if it was turned up to what yous is +5.5 then zero on Yammie would be around 80.5 . Sooo yours and mine are comparable in volume.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My new Axiom fronts and center came in today so I was waiting for this last test until they came. I hooked the Axiom fronts up to my Adcom 200 wpc. I'm 99.9% sure this amp is working properly. On other receivers when it's connected there is a noticable increase in volume and quality as compare to the onboard receiver. With the Adcom I adjusted to 75db at 0 volume. I then hooked the speakers up to the Yamaha amp and again with the sound at 0 I got 78 db. How can going from this better and more powerful amp to the onboard amp do I get an increase in volume. Albeit the quality's not there (especially notible in the S's and midbass) but I'm getting more volume. I really think my minds made up that the voltage for the preouts on my receiver is screwed up. I noticed it first in the sub (if you read my past posts) but at the time just chalked it up to a design difference between receivers. But this just ain't right. Really need everyone's thoughts here. Is it possible that the 0.1% chance the amp is bad holds true...maybe, but I doubt it. I think if something was wrong with it I would've noticed some other degradation in quality, whick is absent. Is it my receiver that's running a little limp or is it the line. From what I hear from other more than satisfied users, I'm betting on the former. Comments and suggestions?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I had a 200 watt amp and a 75 watt amp. The 75 watt amp had louder volume at zero then the 200 watt amp. I was confused untill I came to understand that is was just that the gain was higher on the 75 watt amp then the 200 watt amp and thats all. It had nothing to do with sound quality and actually didnt mean a freakin thing at all other then I had to adjust the 200 watt amp at a higher spl. (no problem whatsoever in my case anyhow)

·
Registered
333 Posts
I understand what you're saying. With your explaination, the only possible worry I can think of is if adjusting the level on the amp higher introduces any noise and/or distortion that would be worrysome. Or is a level adjustment for a preout just raise the voltage of the output, which is what I wanted in the first place.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am currently using the 1400 as a prepro and am extremely satisfied with the outcome. It has tremendous amount of features that make this a very good prepro IMO.

About the preamp outs, I did feel they are weak initially but you have to understand how each volume control is designed. I can listen to music at a kindof-loud volume and it shows -30 on the display. Even if it goes as high as -30 on the display, it hardly is about 4 bars on the master volume display which goes all the way upto 13-14 bars. Here is what someone posted elsewhere about the volume control running the 1400 on it's own amps.

"Here is how DB relates to power output. The reason you won't hear a thing between -80 to-50 dB is because the power output is below 0.001 W.

Here is why. Going by dB formula vs power output, we can conclude that...

When output power is half of 110w rated power (55w), then the dB would be: "

dB=10x log(output power/maximum output power)

dB=10x log(55w/110w)....10x log(0.5)

dB= -3 dB

So, when power output is 30 watt, dB= -5.6dB

Output power is 10w, dB= -10

Output power is 1 w, dB= -20

Output power is 0.5w, dB= -23

Output power is 0.1w, dB= -30

Output power is 0.05w, dB= -33

Output power is 0.01w, dB= -40 dB

Output power is 0.005w, dB= -43

Output power is 0.001w, dB= -50

"So any dB value lower than -50 (-60 or -80), and the output power would be below 0.001w which most likely is unhearable."

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Just an observation:

The Yamaha 1300 has a 10.3 lb power supply and 12k worth of capacitance while the 1400 has an 11.9lb power supply and 10k

worth of capacitance.

The 2300 has an 11.7lb power supply and 15k worth of capacitance

while the 2400 has an 11.9lb power supply and 15k as well.

I have been going over the amp sections of each Yamaha amp

and trying to figure out if I should return my HTR-5660(RX-V640) for a

bigger unit.

RXV440/540 have a 9.4lb psu , 10k uF, 25lb unit weight

RXV 640/740 have a 9.7lb psu, 12k uF, 29lb unit weight

RXV1400 11.9 , 10k uF 33lb unit weight

RXV2400 11.9, 15k uF 33lb unit weight

RXV3300 19.6lb psu, 22k uF , 49lb unit weight

RX-Z1 21.6lb PSU , 27K uF , 61lb unit weight

Its seems Yamaha does not really step up the amplifer section

until you get into to the 3300. Granted my HTR-5660 has less

tweakability then an RXV2400 ,the amp section is not terribly

different in terms of PSU size and capacitance which are 2 really

important factors in terms of current supply and peak/dynamic output.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't think you should return your HTR5660 for a bigger unit for the reasons of more power alone. More power on the bigger units might be noticed only at reference or above reference volumes. If power is a concern to you then you should think about adding an external amp to your receiver. The RX-V740 was high on my list as a prepro and the only reason I got a 1400 is YPAO.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You're at -30 listening to music kinda loud? I'm at around -15 for kinda loud. Maybe because my audio enthusiasm started with car stereo I'm used to loud volume when enjoying my music. I'm listening to DVD's close to -5 to get really into it and that gives me peaks in the mid 90's (w/o the sub, which throws peaks into the 100's.) I usually think movie theatres are way too low. I'm gonna mention my concerns to the place I bought it from, they're great over there. I'm so glad I decided to pay the extra few bucks and buy it authorized. They'll most definately let me get a new one just to alleviate my concerns. After having this room correction, if I was to switch brands of receiver to one w/o auto eq, I know I'd have to dump a whole bunch of money on some type of eq; it would be better to have three times as many bands to adjust, but I'd also have to buy three two-channel eq's. I'll worry about that Saturday.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Erikb, maybe I need to rephrase kinda-loud at -30db a little differently. What I mean is -30 db gives me a comfortable listening volume and kinda-loud should be -20. I watch movies anywhere between -20 and -5 dbs depending upon the movies and the time I am watching the movies. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your receiver and I would not go the length of unhooking it and hooking it back again.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well I must say after all of the anal behavior I've had with this new setup it seems to be breaking itself in a little more each day. This morning I had the same CD on at the same volume, but I was told it sounded like the ceiling below was gonna come crashing down. But, since it is possible, I think the only way to address my concerns (albeit baseless or not) is to exchange for a new one. That really is the only way I'll know for sure if I am right or if I've been pretending to know more than I do. Either way I've got no problem finding the answers and living with the results. I'll decide Saturday.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.