AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me important differences between the 1500 and 2500? Ive seen the features, but not sure what really matters... It will be used on a 7.1 system for movie/tv watching/gaming. The 2500 is several hundred dollars more...

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently purcahsed an RXV 657 and a good friend of mine the 2500. It seems from the specifications that you are essentially paying for the same receiver within a certain model range....you just get feature creep, incrementall better specifications, etc. The obvious difference is of course power (which is perhasp the biggest thing), additional DSP programs, additional inputs or outputs, etc.

Personally, I wanted to get the best value possible and given a smaller room, the 657 seemed to fit right in that bracket . The extra power and features of the higher model, from the 757 up the 2500, just weren't of enough utility to get me to move upmarket. My friend on the other hand, hadnt had a decent system in years, was ready splurge and figured why not get all the features and power now. So.....different goals, needs and budget. We both have great receivers (dare I say, on many levels, the same receiver) and are happy with our purchases. So I guess my main point is to pick whats best for you based on need and budget and keep in mind you dont need to spend a whole bunch to get a decent receiver. (Then again....its fun to splurge from time to time :) )

For your specific comparison, based on the specifications of the 1500 and 2500, they are pretty much identical with the 2500 suppling 10-W per channel more, the same basic functionality and features with a few additional inputs on the 2500. So it really comes down to the opportunity cost for the 2500 and probably your own power requirements. The Yamaha product booklet has all the RXV models in a matrix and is worth check out. Even a comparsion between the two websites will show how they are basically the same. Its surprising to compare them and see how truly similar they all are. Unless you need the power, the extra inputs, feel like splurging or can get an exceptional deal on the 2500, I would be inclined to the 1500.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you end up going with and how you find it!

·
Registered
512 Posts
2500 has better gui system and I believe it has a different version of YPAO, manual PEQ settings, ability to store up to 6 YPAO setups and subwoofer phase adjustment, more power, more inputs/ouputs and I believe the zone 2/3 control is better on the 2500.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did the comparison once and ended up getting the RXV1500. For me, the differences are not enough for the price difference. Fergusonv summed it up best (except the 1500 also has manual EQ settings...not sure if they are the same with the 2500).

I keep hearing about the power is not near the advertised power but it's plenty for my needs. I've never cranked it up above -20dB (quarter of the volume scale shown on the display) --- the house is shaking sufficiently at this volume level.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanda
How did the 1500 work out for you? I am looking them on ubid.
Did you go for it? I just got one yesterday, and although it is early, it seems like a pretty nice unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.