AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the external (6.1 or 8.1) inputs are put through any type of bass management on the 2400? The PDF seems to suggest that the answer is no, while the manual that came in the box gives NO clue.

Any one have an idea?

Thanks

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sorry, The 2400 does not do bass management on it's external in. I have solved this problem by buying a dvd player with bass management.

Greg

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
DCIFRTHS,

Putting bass management on the external inputs would defeat the purpose of external throughput design. You could put analog circuits in there to handle the input redirection, but then you are dealing with phase shift issues. Bass management is best done in the digital domain before it goes through the DAC on the player.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gps
Sorry, The 2400 does not do bass management on it's external in. I have solved this problem by buying a dvd player with bass management.

Greg
How were you able to determine that the 2400 does not do bass management on the external inputs?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalGriffin
DCIFRTHS,

Putting bass management on the external inputs would defeat the purpose of external throughput design. You could put analog circuits in there to handle the input redirection, but then you are dealing with phase shift issues. Bass management is best done in the digital domain before it goes through the DAC on the player.
I know that some products do have bass management for the external inputs. I believe that they convert the analog signal to a digital one. An example would be the Denon AVR5803. Do you think this is a bad idea?

My Yamaha DSP-A1 applys bass management in the analog stage as you mention above.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
The HK AVR 525 and AVR 7200 and new AVR 630, feature an 6/8 channel digitizer to handle this. The digitizer can be switched out if required, also its X-over settings are every flexible 3 different speaker settings of 6 frequencies. Though certain DVD-A and SACD players now include bass manager settings, usually they have limited settings than the AVR whereas the HK approach allows the user to determine the optimum settings for his speakers then ALL sources can be matched.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
*shivers*

The 96kHz/24Bit ADC's on all receivers these days are still noisy. So you're just adding to the noise. This is fine if you have a limited bandwidth source (ie: CD player, or VCR), but reducing the number of conversions is generally the way to go for optimum quality.

Converting the analog signal input to digital creates this kind of path:

Digital (source)->Analog (DVD DAC Out)->Digital (ADC on receiver) -> Processing -> Analog (DAC on receiever)->Amplification

By a straight connect you go:

Digital (source)->Analog (DVD DACs)->Amplification

If the DVD-A player has bass management you go:

Digital (source) -> Processing -> Analog (DVD DACs) -> Aplification

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.