AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i know there is a huge post on 2700,s but its getting too big and would like to stream down some questions for yall.

1. does it have the lfe problem, not sure on this one

2.do you notice the unit getting very hot! yes for mine

3.has anyone heard from yamaha re firmware updates for it

4.when running your hd dvd do you notice the week audio?

unlike the ps3 that pounds out the juice (yes on mine)

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
1. According to some owners, it does not have the LFE issue; I can't recall an owner who said that it did

2. Yes, it runs hot even at idle (Its painful to touch the top at times)

3. None I heard of; I think the 1700 might have though

4. I noticed less dynamic audio when using the XBox 360 add-on HD DVD player when compared to my Toshiba Media server DVD-RW/Tivo box

·
Registered
524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtoronto /forum/post/0

Ok i know there is a huge post on 2700,s but its getting too big and would like to stream down some questions for yall.

Can I add Doc, that HD-DVD audio problems or lack of sound is via HDMI not optical. So the LFE and low volumes level with HD-DVD with HDMI connections. If you have A2 or Xa2 HD DVD hooked up with HDMI (not analogu, not optical) I would be curious on your sound quality using actual HD discs (not tones), with TrueHD.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Haven't had the LFE problem

Yes it gets quite hot on top, mostly in front right corner.

Haven't heard of any firmware updates, not sure it needs one

Don't have hddvd or ps3. I'll probably wait for 6 months on these. I'm currently upgrading my external amp and speakers.

·
Registered
847 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtoronto /forum/post/0

1. No, but my rx-v4600 did. Bitstream via hdmi was fine on the 4600,but pcm was weak. The 2700 does not have this problem.(in my case)

2. It gets somewhat hot (it's behind a glass door) but not quite as hot as the 4600 did.

3.Haven't heard anything yet

4.no problems with audio. Had the ps3. Nothing special or significantly different

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoctor /forum/post/0

Can I add Doc, that HD-DVD audio problems or lack of sound is via HDMI not optical. So the LFE and low volumes level with HD-DVD with HDMI connections. If you have A2 or Xa2 HD DVD hooked up with HDMI (not analogu, not optical) I would be curious on your sound quality using actual HD discs (not tones), with TrueHD.

I have the a2 and all of my stuff is hooked up via hdmi,s with hd dvd movies its week but if i pop in a normal dvd it pounds pretty good so im thinking it might be a hd dvd problem not the 2700

heres my setup

yamaha rxv 2700

toshiba a2 hd dvd (hdmi)

ps3 60 gig )hdmi)

bell expressvu 9200 pvr (hdmi)

pure av control center all units pluged into this

yamaha optical cd player

mirage omni 250 mains

mision and jbl rear surounds

bose 161 front presence

psb 6i 12 inch sub

sony 60 inch 1080i lcd grand wega

so im glad to see i am not the only one with the heat deal yea its the right top side and it has plenty of room to breath

·
Registered
398 Posts
1. No LFE issue with my HD-A1 (FW2.0) and my RX-V2700 via HDMI

2. I run a Parasound Zbreeze to keep it cool, used from day one so I am unsure if it gets hot or not. the Zbreeze keeps it ice cold

3. Nothing from Yamaha, I made sure to register the unit for firmware updates etc..

4. I dont have a PS3, but audio seems very dynamic from the HD-A1

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I plan on buying a 1700 soon.

My current 1400 has the LFE issue.

But, what is strange is that HD DVDs have the LFE issue over the analog outputs (PCM) on the HDA1. However, normal DVDs have plenty of bass.

Optical is fine on BOTH HD DVDs and DVDs.

I even authored some HD matierial on a standard dual layer DVD and it too had plenty of bass.

I am thinking it *could* be an issue with HD DVDs themselves.

Very odd...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just ran another hd dvd and had to run it at -7 when on the ps3 im at -20 or so

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson /forum/post/0

Thanks for the replies guys. I plan on buying a 1700 soon.

My current 1400 has the LFE issue.

But, what is strange is that HD DVDs have the LFE issue over the analog outputs (PCM) on the HDA1. However, normal DVDs have plenty of bass.

Optical is fine on BOTH HD DVDs and DVDs.

I even authored some HD matierial on a standard dual layer DVD and it too had plenty of bass.

I am thinking it *could* be an issue with HD DVDs themselves.

Very odd...

PCM is digital, not analog.

Optical won't be a problem, because the need to boost the LFE is well understood with bitstreams over S/PDIF.

AV RXs supporting PCM over HDMI are newer beasts some of which were designed before connecting players to RXs over HDMI became common. Apparently the spec was unclear on the need for a boost to the HDMI/PCM LFE channel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.