AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I'm relatively new to AV things. Thinking to buy Yamaha 3800BL ( 899.99 at JR.com ).

Any downsides of this receiver?? I see price drop as very steep.. from~1600$ to 899$ in couple of years.. so suspect if there is any issue with receiver..

did some web search but did not find anything obvious..

I'm big in Music than movies.. Currently have Onkyo 605 w/ Bose 5.1 speakers. Thinking to go w/ Yamaha 3800 ( or onkyo 807) w/ Polk Tsi 7.1 speakers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Are you being funny? Maybe you aren't. Like computers, TVs, cameras and other gear of that ilk, as soon as a new model comes out, which is often, the old model is less valuable.

The 3800 is almost two years old - it's a clearance item. It's been replaced by the 3900, which be likely be replaced in a few months by something in the fall line. Or Yamaha might create some inferior models like they did this spring.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
It's standard.

Better to go read the 3800 thread if you want to know everything about it. What do you want to know? I have owned the 2700 and 3900 and I have a decent idea of what the 3800 can and can't do. But the 3800 is going to be better, it just takes some time to read the good parts, and ignore any pointless posts

In general, I think the 3800 is solid. It corrected the HDMI overhating issue the 2700 had, as far a I know. It added lossless decoding which the 2700 did not have. It "might" have HD radio, I don't recall. I think it added support for additional network audio, but you should confirm what it does and does not support.

It's pretty similar, otherwise to the 2700.

The 3900 adds more to the 3800 than it added over the 2700. I detailed a lot of this in the original post of the 3900 thread. The 3900's price should drop if there's a decent replacement model this fall. Yamaha has been doing some things differently, so I will make no predictions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks MichaelJHuman!

I read some of the post and specs of the reciever. One thing I really want to know how good is Video upscalling ? .. It uses something ( can't recall at present) other than DcDi ( Which Onkyo/Denon uses)..

Most chanels I watch are International and in Standard Def. So knowing how good is it's upscalling function would be really helpful.. No stores around my area carries these recevier so there is no other alternative than seeking feedback here on the forums..

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maks71 /forum/post/16986735

Thanks MichaelJHuman!

I read some of the post and specs of the reciever. One thing I really want to know how good is Video upscalling ? .. It uses something ( can't recall at present) other than DcDi ( Which Onkyo/Denon uses)..

Most chanels I watch are International and in Standard Def. So knowing how good is it's upscalling function would be really helpful.. No stores around my area carries these recevier so there is no other alternative than seeking feedback here on the forums..

Thanks Again.

3800 uses a no name deinterlacer (I think) and an ABT scaler chip. Not sure how it does on various video benchmarks.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maks71 /forum/post/16986751

Can upscalling still occur with HDMI to HDMI connectivity? Cable box is connected to receiver via HDMI and Reciever out to TV is also HDMI.

Thanks.

No, that was added with the 3900. The 3800 is analog processing only.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Are you sure you need it? I sometimes use mine, and sometimes don't, and there's really very little difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16994521

Are you sure you need it? I sometimes use mine, and sometimes don't, and there's really very little difference.

Not sure... It depends on how well the upscalling is.. I haven't seen yet..

One question I had , lets say if I have 480i souce and when it upscale , does it get displayed on the entire screen of my 46" Sony TV? Currently source gets displayed as a small rectangle on my TV Until I widen using TV but then I things gets streached..

Thanks

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
That depends on settings in the whole setup.

My Tivo, for example, can output 480i to my TV untouched, or it can output it in panel mode with sidebars. The picture is compressed horizontally sidebars and all. When the TV display it in 16:9, it's aspect ratio is correct.

Let's say Tivo is not doing any special processing on 4:3. I can turn processing on my 3900 and do the same thing with it's 16:9 normal aspect setting. (For me, with Tivo, this setting only affects analog in.)

Note I can really mess this up by putting Tivo in panel mode AND turning on 16:9 aspect on the 3900 AND putting my TV in sidebar mode. I get THREE sidebars! Definitely not what you would want. You want to ensure only one device is doing this sort of thing.

Let's say Tivo and the 3900 is doing no processing. I can then simply put my TV in 4:3 mode and it will put up sidebars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts