AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for the help. I'll try to make it as brief as possible.

Handyman installed my in ceiling 7.1 surround system. Because the speaker wires were not labeled, he plugged them in one at a time to see which speaker was doing what. All were working fine as he tested them (could be he was plugging in rear surrounds to fronts on the receiver to see which wire went where - not sure). Regardless, all speakers working then we noticed the rear surrounds were not pumping out any sound. Zone 2 is turned off. Tried the test, test is working fine for all speakers include rear surrounds. It's set to music 7.1. We are puzzled. Even my subwoofer is outputting less power than when he was testing it (it was dancing on my wood floors even at level 6/10; had to now put it at 10 to feel much of anything). So we called Yamaha, and they had me do exactly what I told them I already did (zone 2 off, music 7.1, test, restore settings, try again) and said it was defective. Get my second 675 unit and it's defective (wouldn't turn on, just three red lights). Get a third unit today, hook everything up, turn it on, and the rear surrounds still aren't working!!! The test is, once again, showing the rear surrounds are working as noise during the test is coming out like all other speakers. It's on music 7.1. I haven't messed with any setting. Zone 2 is off.

What is going on here? Am I missing a huge step? Should I be riding the short bus? I'm not an expert by any means but I consider myself to be somewhat tech savvy. On receiver #1 we tested it on my directv box playing music channels (directv is hooked to receiver via coax audio) and via apple tv (apple tv hooked directly via hdmi). This time, just directv. But it should work regardless, right?

I'm hoping someone out there can solve this mystery for me.

Oh, and my subwoofer still needs to be cranked to 10 for it to pump out bass. Frustrating.

Thanks in advance, all!

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Not familiar with Yamaha but I know
On some makes you need to reassign
The amps for zone 2. They default to
Zone 2 even when zone 2 is off.

Other than that it maybe a surround
Sound mode setting. Remember music
Is only 2 channels.

Try all of the DSP modes.

Make sure the bi-amp function off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not familiar with Yamaha but I know
On some makes you need to reassign
The amps for zone 2. They default to
Zone 2 even when zone 2 is off.

Other than that it maybe a surround
Sound mode setting. Remember music
Is only 2 channels.
Not sure about your first paragraph (honestly, not sure how to adjust this, but it seems surprising that this would need to be changed out of the box). Any advice would be appreciated.

As for the surround sound mode, it has many options, including music 7.1 and music 2.1; I have selected music 7.1.

Please help! Thanks so much everyone!

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Check my edit. From what I
Read different DSP modes activate
Different speaker. If you select a DSP
Mode that uses front presence speakers
And you have no presence speakers you
Will only get 5.1.

I assume nothing is connected to front presence.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check my edit. From what I
Read different DSP modes activate
Different speaker. If you select a DSP
Mode that uses front presence speakers
And you have no presence speakers you
Will only get 5.1.

I assume nothing is connected to front presence.
It is showing 7.1 with the rear surrounds as 2 of the 7 speakers, and nothing is connected to the front presence. In fact, I went into the settings and turned off the front presence... no change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm having the same exact problem... Any luck?
Yes, as I was on hold with Yamaha customer service, I stood up on my sofa and put my hear to the speaker... and actually heard something out of the rear two speakers in my 7.1 setup (front 3's fine, side 2's lower in volume but working). Volume was even lower than the two on the sides.

Yamaha rep picked up and told me that is normal; I told him I was under the impression that when you have it on Music 7.1, it should be pumping music to all speakers at equal volume levels. He said you can do that manually by changing the settings, but then when you go back to 7.1 for watching a movie, you have to manually adjust your settings as well.

As for the sub, I upped the volume manually and everything is rocking right now. Hope that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts