AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my Samsung TV routed (thru hdmi, thru my Cable DVR) thru my Yamaha 863 receiver. Today I got some Sennheiser wireless headphones. Their purpose was to save my marriage , as the wife hears _much_ better than I do. In my defense, that is a result of me working at lots of loud jobs (unprotected) over the years, and she stayed home. And our most common argument, is the sound level of the TV.

So, I was somehow hoping to connect these headphones to the receiver, so that I could listen to anything that came out of it, at whatever level _I_ wanted. The caveat being that the sound level of the receiver (her listening) was independent of what _I_ was listening to. While the simplest/surest connect is via the headphone jack at the front of the receiver, this then switches off the sound through the receiver to the speakers; making the headphones the only recipient of the sound. Not what I want.

I tried in vain, no sound came through the headphones, no matter what connection from the receiver I plugged these into.

I finally hooked the phones up to the DVR, and it works the way I wanted. With the TV, I can hear everything, and she can adjust the outside speakers to whatever volume she desires. But I can't listen to music, or anything else hooked up to the receiver (aside from the cable signal).

This connection serves the purpose of me listening to TV at _my level_, and she hers, but I guess I wanted more.

If anyone knows a way to hook wireless headphones up to a receiver (that has a dvr/digital/hdmi connection running), please let me know. I'm supposing there needs to be a digital to analog converter involved, due to the hdmi connection from the dvr overriding the analog signal connections. But I don't know how to proceed from here, or even if I want to go to that expense/trouble.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think that your receiver has "pre-out" RCA outputs for left and right front on the rear panel, so connecting to those should work.

You may need a RCA (L&R) to 1/4" stereo adapter cable.

Also, you'll need to set the receiver for "stereo" output or else you won't hear the center channel information (voices) through your headphones.

You won't have truly independent volume control since the pre-amp outputs will track with the master volume on the receiver,

but you can set your desired additional volume with the volume control on your headphones.

Interesting idea, let us know how it works out.

Bob

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
From what I can see, you've got four options...

#1 is what Bob suggested above. This won't completely solve your independent volume problem, though, and you'll need to set the receiver to "stereo" instead of any of the surround modes, or 'll lose a lot of the audio.

#2 is to try using the MD/CD-R output jacks for your headphones. Set the "Record Out" function to whatever source you want to listen to. This should be a line-level output not affected by the receiver's volume control. If the analog jacks here won't send out audio from a digital source (like HDMI), run a set of analog RCA cables from that source (like your cable box) to the receiver along with the HDMI cable. This will provide analog audio for your headphones while still keeping the digital audio for everything else.

#3 is to set the receiver to use Zone 2 output, connect a speaker-level to line-level converter on the Zone 2 speaker outputs, and connect your headphones to that. This will give you completely independent volume control and even source selection, so you can listen to something different than what's coming out the speakers. Downside is you have to buy a new piece of hardware, and you lose your presence speaker capability, if you were using it, as they share the same speaker output binding posts.

#4 is to get a new receiver with Zone 2 pre-amp output jacks for the headphones, so you don't lose any speaker capabilities and don't need to convert a speaker-level signal back to line-level.

If it were me, I'd try Option #2 first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely try the option 2; if I can find a set of cables in my junk box in the garage. I tried the pre-outs already, but the volume is dreadfully low. It's not a total deal-breaker having them hooked up to the cable-dvr, because that *is* what I wanted the headphones for, latenite tv without disturbing shmbo. And I can even watch tv in the bedroom with them setup this way, providing I have the tv's set to the same channel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts