AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent a little time on-line researching receivers for a badly needed upgrade. (90's Sony HTIB just got donated to Goodwill) I had somewhat decided on the Yamaha 665 and was out wasting some time at the local BB. They had several 863's marked down so they were just 70 or so dollars more than the 665's. (570 vs 499) I hadn't spent anytime looking at the 863's on-line so I didn't know a lot about them. I pulled out my handy iPhone and from what I could tell by the research I did in the store via my phone it made more sense to get the 863...more power, same video processor, all the same features short of a extra HDMI connector. Well worth a extra 70 bucks for 30+watt's per channel I'd think. (I have a BR player and a HD DVR so I only need two right HDMI connectors now, and one spare should be enough I would think.)

Can anyone on here give me some guidance on if I should take the 863 back and get the 665? The guy at BB tried to tell me that the 863 supported a older version of HDMI 1.2 vs 1.3a, but from what I could tell on-line that wasn't the case. I'll be using it mostly for BR watching and I plan on hooking up my iPod to it too via the optional dock. Still in the market for speakers, I'll post my room config and what I'm looking for in that forum.

Any opinions or insight on my decision would be appreciated.

· Registered
198 Posts
Depends on how much you want to spend and how much the 863 was.

Newegg has the 665 for $350 right now with free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882115196

I can't make up my mind right now because I am on a budget whether to get the YHT-591 or just get the 665 and find some speakers..

I would like to hook my wii up to it and I guess the YHT-591 receiver it has you can't map inputs or something.

· Registered
6,898 Posts
The 863 is the far, far better machine!!!!

· Registered
147 Posts
I would get the 665 from newegg. With the difference, you could add an external amp.

You will not notice a difference in power between the two model. You will however notice a difference if you added an external amp.

IMO, the extra hdmi is more useful than the extra 30 watts of power.

· Registered
22,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/16847984

The 863 is the far, far better machine!!!!

Really only in the amp section. The front ends are very much the same with small differences in features and function. The differences in the amp sections will be more apparent with large power-hungry speakers than with smaller units.

· Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nddomer08 /forum/post/16847594

I've spent a little time on-line researching receivers for a badly needed upgrade. (90's Sony HTIB just got donated to Goodwill) I had somewhat decided on the Yamaha 665 and was out wasting some time at the local BB. They had several 863's marked down so they were just 70 or so dollars more than the 665's. (570 vs 499) I hadn't spent anytime looking at the 863's on-line so I didn't know a lot about them. I pulled out my handy iPhone and from what I could tell by the research I did in the store via my phone it made more sense to get the 863...more power, same video processor, all the same features short of a extra HDMI connector. Well worth a extra 70 bucks for 30+watt's per channel I'd think. (I have a BR player and a HD DVR so I only need two right HDMI connectors now, and one spare should be enough I would think.)

Can anyone on here give me some guidance on if I should take the 863 back and get the 665? The guy at BB tried to tell me that the 863 supported a older version of HDMI 1.2 vs 1.3a, but from what I could tell on-line that wasn't the case. I'll be using it mostly for BR watching and I plan on hooking up my iPod to it too via the optional dock. Still in the market for speakers, I'll post my room config and what I'm looking for in that forum.

Any opinions or insight on my decision would be appreciated.

Go back to BB! I was in the Oakland, Ca. store this morning and they had a 863 open box @449. And I was returning my 863(now they have two).

Nothing wrong with my 863, I just got a really good deal on a 705 from BHPhoto.

I'm sure your not in Oakland? but if you talk to the local store manager, you may get some money back.

· Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motz2k1 /forum/post/16847974

Depends on how much you want to spend and how much the 863 was.

Newegg has the 665 for $350 right now with free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882115196

I can't make up my mind right now because I am on a budget whether to get the YHT-591 or just get the 665 and find some speakers..

I would like to hook my wii up to it and I guess the YHT-591 receiver it has you can't map inputs or something.

Thats a killer price!!

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't realize that Newegg had it for 350 w/ free shipping. That may make enough of a difference to take the 863 back to bb and order the 665 from the Egg. I'm thinking about getting two klipsch rf62's, a rc53, and a sub of somesort for my speakers. I have a small room (probably 10 x 20) that the system is in now and don't really have a need for surround. It's a odd room with the TV setup at a 45 angle in a corner and the sofa and chair setup at right angles to the wall. (I tried to draw a pic in paint, but couldn't figure out how to post it.)

I'm a noob and don't have a lot of experience, so I hadn't thought of putting a amp in line to power beefier speakers if needed. Do you think I'll need it with the above speaker setup?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought I'd do a little research on amps before I make the decision to return the RX863 $600 (including tax) recieiver for the tax free RX665 $350 (I'll pay the sales tax next april...lol).

Anyone have suggestions on a make/model amp that fits the $250 difference and will power some Klipsch RF-62's, a RF-53, and a sub? A earlier poster suggested that route and I've never researched this before. The 863 is 120w and the 665 is 90w. If I go the 665 route and get a amp to power the speakers outside of the receiver do I ditch the 90w that the receiver provides and power it solely from the amp? I don't see many sub 4 or 5 hundred dollar amps that provide the watts that the 863 provides. I'm sure I'm just missing something or have a concept messed up.

Appreciate all the knowledge you guys have and the direction you'll surely provide.

· Registered
6,898 Posts
Note: No manufacturer's warranty from Newegg.

The 863 has the following benefits over the 665:
  • Phono Input
  • HD Radio
  • SRS Circle Surround II
  • 100w more Total Power
  • Dolby Digital (Plus)
  • 1 Less HDMI Input
  • 1 More Component Video Input
  • 5 S-Video Inputs
  • 2 More Optical Inputs
  • Optical Output
  • Component Video Up Conversion
  • S-Video Up Conversion
  • Speaker Switching A, B or A + B
  • 8 lbs. Heavier (all Power Supply)

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All good points. After some more research I don't think going with the 665 and getting a amp is really a cost effective strategy. I'll be keeping the 863, now I move into a area that I know less about...speakers. See you guys in that forum! lol

· Registered
198 Posts
It really comes down to what you need. If it is more power it seems like the 863 is the way to go. I'm on a bit more a budget and the 665 is looking sweet to me, especially seeing newegg just lowered the prices last night. And it looks like I will be following you around because I have to get speakers now too

· Registered
3,637 Posts
The 665 can claim 90w a channel but it is closer to 35w/channel 5 channels driven. The 663 tested poorly on the bench and the 665 is even lighter. Stay with the 863, much better AVR and you stole the damn thing.

· Registered
6,898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16848989

The 665 can claim 90w a channel but it is closer to 35w/channel 5 channels driven. The 663 tested poorly on the bench and the 665 is even lighter.

This comment demonstrates a lack of comprehension of the power-rating spec used by Yamaha; the testing org didn't understand them either.

· Registered
18,923 Posts
If I recall, the 663 might have been bested by a few of it's similar priced competitors, power-wise.

I think what Cavu means though, is that Yamaha meets FTC regulations with regards to the concept of associated channels. They are only required to drive all associated channels at the same time.

Which is why you will see power specs listed by associated channels (one assumes.) E.g. L/R, C, SL/SR and SBL/SBR. Which implies the specs are the power with two channels driven.

· Registered
6,898 Posts

· Registered
6,898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16849776

Which implies the specs are the power with two channels driven.

Not at all. Yamaha's specs relate to exactly the channel configuration referenced but are based on 500mS bursts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.