AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a R-V1105 Yamaha receiver and an earlier model Bose system with the bass module and 5 speakers (2 front, 1 center, 2 rear). On the bass module, the connections for the rear surround speakers has a short so I cannot connect the rear speakers up. Because of this I have started to use the set up as a sound system for my computer/bedroom for music only. I currently have the bass module and 2 front speakers (in the "A" speakers input) and 1 center speaker hooked up to the receiver. This leaves me with the 2 other speakers. I decided to hook them up to the "B" speaker inputs on the receiver directly, instead of going through the sub, which would give me 4 front speakers. I know that Bose does not recommend doing this since they have the equalizer or whatever built into the bass module. So far the speakers sound ok but not as good as the other 2 running through the sub. My question is....Is this a bad idea running the 2 speakers directly through the receiver? Im worried because I don't know what ohms these Bose speakers are and the back of the receiver has an indicator that you can switch between 2 different impedance levels. The first choice says if you are using "A" and "B" speakers together that each speaker should be 8ohms or higher. This is what it is currently set on. The other choice says if you are using "A" and "B" speakers together that each speaker should be 16ohms or higher. I just want to make sure I dont damage my receiver. How should I set this thing up, if at all? Thanks and sorry for the ramble. Let me know if I made any sense of this whole thing.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Yeah it's going to sound really horrible. Your little speakers are trying to reproduce frequencies they weren't designed for. And they weren't that good to begin with.

Run it in "both speakers are 8 ohms or higher setting" and don't turn it up too lound.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know the Bose are pretty terrible. Im not too concerned with it sounding amazing. Its just something I had laying around so I decided to hook it up. I just wanted to make sure that I wont do any harm to the Yamaha because I think it is pretty decent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts